Re-plastering a ceiling, how thick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had my concrete ceiling professionally re-plastered last year and a long hair line crack is re appearing. In the process of re decorating, out of curiosity I've taken some of the plaster off and realised it is probably 2mm thick. Is this a standard thickness for ceilings? I've done some plastering before, and if I have to re plaster again, would I be able to tackle that task myself?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If the ceiling surface was sound then the plasterer will have used what he considered sufficient, although 2mm is cutting it a bit fine IMO. As to whether you will be able to do this work, that depends on whether you are able to do this work :confused:

He did put some tape on the previous crack, which was larger.

The original ceiling was covered in a sort of rugged artex, and he did plaster over it (probably in case of asbestos).

I remember the whole ceiling had PVA drying on it except for that area in the middle. He probably did put some afterwards (hopefully). That area is not completely smooth. Could there be a relation there?

Sponsored Links
If he has just used fibatape it may not be heavy enough for the job!

May have to hack out the crack, fill with mortar then fix expamet to reinforce the crack, render over then a coat of bonding 8mm and finish 3-4mm

op - could you clarify what you mean by a "concrete" ceiling. If there is movement, which caused the original crack, then this will reoccur no matter how much tape is used and however many times it's skimmed.

I live in a flat and the upstairs solid floor is a suspended concrete floor, which makes up my ceiling. It is made up of a screed, concrete beams (most probably joined together), a thick layer of mortar, artex and finally the latter gypsum finish.

I'm a bit worried about hacking out deep into the crack since it could contain some traces of asbestos. I know concrete ceilings can be prone to cracks but I wasn't expecting it to happen again so soon.

In the light of the above, maybe the best I could do is to rake off the 2mm plaster, remove the tape, fill in the crack without touching the artex, put some wire mesh (???), then replaster with two coats?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back