Re-pointing a patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 weeks ago i re pointed my patio i had spent weeks cleaning out the patchy old stuff so i made a measure of 4.1 semi dry mix not wanting it too strong it could crack in the winter i made up the mix a putting some cocreate dye in and weighing it anyways two weeks later it feels like its going off but i could poke my finger through it ,worst nightmare would be to rake it all out and start again i am putting it down to the rain and its never siopped for two weeks and thinking should i just leave another week ..cheers will

Sponsored Links
I re-pointed my patio after re-laying it about 10 months ago, i used wickes ready mix mortar compound and pointed it like you would a brick wall, up to now there is no cracking anywhere and i've jetwashed it a couple of times with no problems! It was hard work on hands and knees for several hours poking the mortar into the gaps and pointing it smooth but i think it was worth the hard work as it looks great and seems to be strong! it rained the day after i did it and i didn't have time to cover it up but it doen't seem to have affected its strength....hope it sets for you given enough time, best of luck. :)

I re-pointed my patio after re-laying it about 10 months ago, i used wickes ready mix mortar compound and pointed it like you would a brick wall, up to now there is no cracking anywhere and i've jetwashed it a couple of times with no problems! It was hard work on hands and knees for several hours poking the mortar into the gaps and pointing it smooth but i think it was worth the hard work as it looks great and seems to be strong! it rained the day after i did it and i didn't have time to cover it up but it doen't seem to have affected its strength....hope it sets for you given enough time, best of luck. :)

Im intrested what colour is the finish i do not like the grey look if it was brown or buff deffo would give it ago and i have started raking out the old stuff ,,cheers

Sponsored Links
Cant say what has gone wrong with that (unless by mistake you have used a ready mix mortar and then 4-6 with that leaving you with hardly any cement.

I pointed my slabs many times and found this
Brushing in a dry mix leads to a weak fill and sinks
Sand and cement damp is better
Sand and cement wetter than damp is better still ( but can be messy)
Sand/ sharp sand and cement wetter than damp is best and lasts longest but because of the sharp sand it does not work in very tight joins and I still find that I am re- doing it after 2-3 years.

What I want to find out is peoples views on the jointing compounds that come in a tub as thats about the only thig I haven't used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back