Re-pointing and winter

S

sentinal73

Hi all,

I know its the wrong time of year to re-point but things have gone a bit t*ts-up.

I paid a mates lad to help re-point my house, but he rarely turned up and was very slow. I had to go away for a weekend, told him not to take much out as the weather might turn and concentrate on putting it all back in.

Anyway, came back from my weekend and he removed a big big area of pointing and then disappeared on holiday for 3 weeks. Have told my mate that I dont want him back........lesson learnt !!

Anyway, i have spent as much time possible over 3-4 weekends to get the pointing back in place, but with the weather turning suddenly, (in surrey) I have 2-3 m^2 to finish off.

I know i cant re-pointed whilst there is frost around and when the temperature is below 4'C, my worry is what to do with the brickwork which has the pointing removed and is exposed?

Am i best to cover it up for the winter until the weather warms up?

or?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Q1 how deep was the raking out? it should be 20mm approx. What area has been raked out? High elev. or low?

Q2 dont point-up until the weather improves ie no frost or freezing. Say a week or two.

Q3 no need to cover up work done or exposed.

Q4 dont use a sloppy mix, it will be more liable for freezing or shrinkage.

Q5 remove a little random strip of your mates pointing to determine how deep the rake out - too shallow and its a mere smear-on.

Its at least 2cm raked out, i can see from the brickwork where the pointing is missing.

Its either side of the front door, there are "pillars" about 2 brick wide and a brick deep either side of the front door, below the canopy/porch over the door.

Also about 2-3 foot wide strips are missing from either side of the front window, from top of the window to the bottom of the window, below the window has been filled in.

thansk again

Sponsored Links
Just leave it until the spring or something, its not a big issue or urgent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back