Re rate of consumer unit fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm in the process of changing and old hot water tank cupboard/room into an Ensuite. The room had an Emersion heater and its own circuit breaker on the consumer unit currently 16amp. Am I correct in thinking I can change the breaker for a 5amp and use the supply for my bathroom lighting and extractor fan?
Any help/advice appreciated.
Cheers
Graham

Sponsored Links
You could, but the cable will almost certainly be 2.5mm² and you'll struggle to get that into any lighting accessories.

You're better off keeping it as is, and taking that 2.5mm² into an unswitched fuse spur (or switched and use it as a light switch) and then run 1mm² from your spur onwards.

Thanks, I planned to switch to 1.5mm, should I go with 1mm instead? (Bought the wire now)

If you’ve already got 1.5 that’s fine, 1mm is just easier to work with and perfectly fine for the job

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back