Re rendering building regulations

Update again!
In a letter to my MP the council stated that we needed to comply with "the requirements of paragraph L1(a)(i) of Schedule 1. Does this not apply to new build only? We have never received anything ourselves in writing as to which regulation we need to comply with. That is probably the next step here.

Any further comments will be welcome! :)

Commiserations, what a nightmare it’s turning into for you. :cry: They are just quoting a paragraph from part L1B at your MP, You are correct in that L1A is specifically applicable to new dwellings but Part L1B (existing dwellings) Page 7, specifically cross references to the to paragraph L1(a)(i) of Schedule 1!

If you haven’t already downloaded copies of parts L1A & L1B, I would suggest you do so, study & understand them very carefully. It’s a bit like tricking pins in your eyes but unless you employ an expert, making yourself one is probably the only way you are going to succeed with minimal wallet damage on this one.

Sponsored Links
blue flag halifax have done a number of outside insulations with stone/brick finishes using Decopierre. There was a rumour of a grant too, find Decopierre on youtube I am sure they will help

Thank you for your latest comments and suggestions. We may have a way forward at last..... It looks as though the Council will compromise with roof insulation instead of insulation boards on the outside walls. At present there is only a very thin layer of roof insulation.

However, it has since been pointed out that sand and cement render does not have any thermal properties and would therefore be considered a decorative layer. This would mean that it is excluded from the building requirements.

We will have the roof insulated anyway as this will be of benefit to us but does this mean that re-rendering does not come under these regulations?

It looks as though the Council will compromise with roof insulation instead of insulation boards on the outside walls. At present there is only a very thin layer of roof insulation.

However, it has since been pointed out that sand and cement render does not have any thermal properties and would therefore be considered a decorative layer. This would mean that it is excluded from the building requirements.

That’s good news for you & very, very interesting! :D I have previously thought that 12mm or so of either external render or internal plaster would have minimal thermal value but have never bothered to check it out; who pointed you towards that little jem?

Sponsored Links
We shall go ahead with the roof insulation, as long as the council do not find any more reasons to stop this!

I am awaiting a reply from a member of the advisory team to the government as to how rendering does or does not apply with regard to thermal layers and/or decorative layers. I have to allow 15 working days for a reply but will keep you posted.... :)

actually i have seen the house that GMA 14 is referring to.

it is in my area.

these particular homes have very little overhang with exposed rafters (no soffit), bowed bay windows, regular sized window sills and do not lend themselves well to have any additional thickness added to the masonry other than a modest render.

Permission has been granted to carry on with the rendering with a condition of installing roof insulation.

Here is my reply I received with regards to the thermal properties of render:

In the Building Regulations there is the following definition:

"Renovation in relation to a thermal element means the provision of a new layer in the thermal element or the replacement of an existing layer, but excludes decorative finishes, and ‘renovate’ shall be construed accordingly. "

The latest version of the Approved Document contains the following extra advice

"Examples of decorative finishes are paint and wallpaper etc that add no appreciable thermal resistance, and thin polymer foam sheeting for decorators to apply under wallpaper to reduce condensation risk. Dry-lining and external renders are not decorative finishes because they add thermal resistance."

So, as far as the Building Regulations are concerned, external render does have thermal properties.
- However to me this does not answer the question as to what thermal properties sand and cement actually have?

I still believe that we should have been able to carry on this work without any conditions due to the economic feasibility of the insulation panels. However, roof insulation will be of benefit and we would like to get the job finished. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back