Re-routing Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to re-route some cables across a wall but can't chase them into it. I'm going to box out a section about 50cm wide running across the top of the wall and then about 60cm wide going down one side to hide some pipes (can't just do the whole wall for other reasons). The boxing out is 4.5cm deep.

Can I run the cable along the edge of this boxed out section within 150mm of both edges. I.e. is it treated as a new wall and so creates new safe zones?

Sponsored Links
Where is this wall, is this an internal wall or is it outside?
Is it 50cm wide (1ft 8in) or do you mean 50mm (2in)?

"Can I run the cable along the edge of this boxed out section"
Do you mean to run it inside the box or outsde?

"is it treated as a new wall"
Dunno can't see it.

Safe zones refer to cables hidden within walls, not external as in trunking.

I want to run it inside the boxing out. It's inside the kitchen (cable is already fitted by an electrician I'm just covering it).

I mean 50cm wide (1ft 8in) - the bit running along the wall at the top will look like a lintel (i.e just step on the wall) and the bit coming down will be hidden by a fridge.

That should be ok, as long as it's clear there are live cables inside and nobody's likely to stick a nail in the box.

Sponsored Links
well the thing is I don't know if it's clear....I want it to look like it's just been built with the wall - so it's almost as if there is an alcove... hope that makes sense! But if it was an alcove or the underside of a lintel is within 15cm of the internal corner OK to run cables - as it would be within 15cm of a ceiling or 15cm of the edge of a wall...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back