Re routing wires in a ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double socket in the bedroom, it's on a ring with two wires feeding into it, no spurs etc on this circuit it's all new.

The wires run through a hole in the joist but the hole and wires will be in the way of some work I'm doing going forward. I need to move them about 2 feet to the left, there is enough slack in the cable, the problem is the cables are plastered over and can't be removed.

Assuming I turn of the master and probably all the other switches in the fuse box, can I cut both wires, re route them and join them together with connector blocks rated for 32 amps? Then wrap the join with insulation tape, or would this be considered bad practice? Two identical joins with connector blocks, or should I be using a distribution box to protect the joins? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The connector block idea is a no go.
If you want to join cables under the floorboards then you need maintenance free junction boxes.

the problem is the cables are plastered over and can't be removed.
Plaster can easily be removed and replaced.
If the cables are long enough, far better to remove them from the plaster and relocate rather than have joints in the cable.

Hopefully the cables are in conduit and can be removed with little damage. This is why I always mention conduit and capping.

Sponsored Links
unfortunately no conduit, would have been nice but it wasnt installed. think the mrs might murder me if i pull the wall out now its been painted finally.

A maintenance free junction box it is, am I correct in thinking its 32A i need?

If you don't want damage, junction boxes are the way to go.

The best way is to use two 30/32 amp Ashley/Hager maintenance free free junction boxes.

You need to use the same size cable too. Typically this would be 2.5 mm2 T+E. Check it is the same size (occasionally but not often larger 4 mm2 can be used.

Yes, but any pro will tell you sometimes part of the job is finding a way to do something without making a load of damage.

If you do use junction boxes, be certain everything is done right as these will become fairly inaccessible. Be sure not to damage the cables when stripping them. Maintenance free juncton bxes are fairly foolproof, but be certain the wires are inserted in the terminals properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back