New Extension Joining to Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An electrician has done his 1st fix in my house and joined into the exisiting upstairs ring by drilling through a backbox with a hole saw and now there is 4 wires coming from the box...

Is this an ok way to join to a ring, I take it he will join one of the new and one of the old together, with a connector block? then join the other two to the socket?

If so would this pass and be ok with any standards, part p, etc

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If he is an electrician why do you question is work ?

Regards,

NA

Sponsored Links
An electrician has done his 1st fix in my house and joined into the exisiting upstairs ring by drilling through a backbox with a hole saw and now there is 4 wires coming from the box...

Is this an ok way to join to a ring,
Put up a photograph of your work and we will be able to get an idea of what problems might occur.

4 wires? Are you sure. I would expect there to be SIX!

Another question might be if the circuit that he (you) are joining to is protected by a 30mA RCD.

4 wires? Are you sure. I would expect there to be SIX!
Although I obviously may be wrong, I had taken the description to mean that the backbox had been used to break into an existing ring (with or without retaining whatever accessory was original fitted to the box), hence that there are hence now 4 cables going into the box.

Kind Regards, John

Is there an echo in here.......
Only in your head ;)

But to move on

I see. He means four CABLES.
Each cable has 3 conductors (aka wires) in it.

Perfectly normal installation method. Assuming the box is deep enought for the connector and that the new and old circuits both comply with the current version of BS7671.

Put up a photograph of your work and we will be able to get an idea of what problems might occur.

I cannot believe you searched and posted my threads, that's pretty sad :eek:

Yes I have done a lot of work and I have had a builder in doing an extension large extension for me.. which he has stopped half way through, and not completed the job, the wiring has been installed to 1st fix, and from what I can see the extension ring upstairs ties into the back of one of the existing house sockets, he has drilled through the internal cavity wall and into the socket and added two 2.5mm cables in the back so now there is 4 cables... So I asked if this was normal, before I got character assassinated...

So I take it joint one cable from old ring to one cable from new ring via 30amp connector block, then connect other two cables to socket. as I say I don't know if this is normal and acceptable practice...

I can wire all the existing myself, its just knowing what is acceptable in regards to smaller details, building regs will come and check and pass off part P for a fee...

I cannot believe you searched and posted my threads, that's pretty sad :eek:
Well thanks very much mate, I was trying to help and you start off on one. I never searched through your posts - check it out.

Yes I have done a lot of work ...... So I asked if this was normal, before I got character assassinated...
As above.

So I take it joint one cable from old ring to one cable from new ring via 30amp connector block, then connect other two cables to socket. as I say I don't know if this is normal and acceptable practice...
Why would you think it was not allowed? Look up the regulations regarding accessible junction (boxes).

I can wire all the existing myself, its just knowing what is acceptable in regards to smaller details, building regs will come and check and pass off part P for a fee...
You mean your Local Authority Building Control - are you sure?
Have you spoken to them?
I think you may find that things have changed considerably now and there is a distinct reluctance on their behalf to do what you hope they will do.
More likely they will say get an electrician member of a competent persons scheme in to inspect and test the installation - he will give you an Electrical Condition Report and that should be passed to your LABC.
The problem is that most schemes have not set this system up yet.
So you need to either speak to the first fix electrician and get him back to assist or ...... well ...there isn't really an or - unless your LABC look kindly on you.

Sorry riveralt is was not directed to you, just the loser who took the time to search the threads and post them..

Building control said if I pay the standard fee which is £250 they will check and pass part P..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back