Re-sealing a shower cubicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. My first post.
I'm having to reseal the shower tray as the 'plumber' that put it in didn't do a very good job to say the least and it's gone black, mainly in the corners. I've scraped/removed as much sealant as I can, but it goes deep under the tiles because the tiling slopes off and at one end the gap is about 18mm wide (shower tray to tiles) and 10mm deep (under the tiles, into the wall). I've put sealant remover on three times but I can't get any more off. There's none on the surface of the tiles, and I've wiped them clean with meths.

So my question is:
Will it be ok to stuff the gap with new silicone on top of the old stuff or should I fill it with something else first? I'm not good at sealing at the best of times, and this is worrying me because I'm going to be restricted for space in the cubicle. And if it isn't done properly I'm going to be back to square one in no time!

Sponsored Links
Hi all. My first post.
I'm having to reseal the shower tray as the 'plumber' that put it in didn't do a very good job to say the least and it's gone black, mainly in the corners. I've scraped/removed as much sealant as I can, but it goes deep under the tiles because the tiling slopes off and at one end the gap is about 18mm wide (shower tray to tiles) and 10mm deep (under the tiles, into the wall). I've put sealant remover on three times but I can't get any more off. There's none on the surface of the tiles, and I've wiped them clean with meths.

So my question is:
Will it be ok to stuff the gap with new silicone on top of the old stuff or should I fill it with something else first? I'm not good at sealing at the best of times, and this is worrying me because I'm going to be restricted for space in the cubicle. And if it isn't done properly I'm going to be back to square one in no time!

18mm is a huge gap around even part of a shower tray, do you not have spare tiles? if so remove bottom course and re-tile, so that tiles fit onto shower tray.
You say plumber fitted it,and you have these gaps,so i am assuming the tray was fitted after tiling, if so get the plumber back to fit it correctly

Thanks for the quick response.
Unfortunately it's about 18 months since the cubicle was fitted and it was a local guy who did the job and I can't find a contact number for him now. We have no spare tiles and even if we did, I doubt I would be able to cut them and put them on.
Is it not possible to fill the gap with something else please? It was obviously filled with sealant the first time round.... :cry: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick response.
Unfortunately it's about 18 months since the cubicle was fitted and it was a local guy who did the job and I can't find a contact number for him now. We have no spare tiles and even if we did, I doubt I would be able to cut them and put them on.
Is it not possible to fill the gap with something else please? It was obviously filled with sealant the first time round.... :cry: :evil:

sorry i have been away for a while, best idea i can offer is to get either a plumber or bathroom fitter in to have a look and see what he recommends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back