Re-siting Central Heating Boiler - costs & problems?

cjb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
wonder if anyone could give me advice?

We are investigating the possibilty of having our Gas Central Heating boiler moved from an upstairs bedroom into a downstairs kitchen (which already is linked to the heating system).

Obviously we will have this done by a qualified professional, but can someone give me an idea of what sort of upheaval is involved, and what a very rough ball park figure might be (I understand that this may be 'how long is a piece of string')!.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ah, well - that would not be bad at all - I had estimated far more than that...

thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have a Corgi fitter friend that charges £400-500 labour to fit new boilers. Of course any materials are charged for hence my figure of £400+.
You guys know what is involved to re-site so I'll shut up :oops:

We don't know what sort of boiler it is, which would help! There will be a number of pipes to move. Pipes from the loft have to get to the kitchen, the gas pipe won't be in the right place, or H&C if it's a combi. The old flue hole will need bricking up, up a ladder. It's not a new boiler, there could be bits of flue which need replacing - where can they be bought easily? Old boilers are heavier than new ones so may need 2 people.
You need to service the boiler probably too, or you'd be called back as soon as someting went wrong "It was OK till you moved it". It should be flushed properly too, something which no corgi would include for £400 fitting.

Recently I took a Vaillant T3 out. I gave up looking for more chewed screws into the wall after a dozen, so I just got hold of it and pulled. I can pull most things off walls and the T3 came, with 3 half-bricks and loads of plaster. The boiler bent a bit too - wouldn't have wanted to refit that.

I've always been too cheap me. :LOL:
Good evening Kev and congrats on your promotion to Moderater.
Don,t cut my posts :LOL:

I have to agree with chris.

I never move existing boilers as the client allways wants a guarantee that it will carry on working, and you never know what you may have disturb during the move,

As chris says boilers can be a git to get off the wall

I think PVM is a bit on the cheap side meself

Thanks for your advice guys.

The thinking behind moving the boiler is really re-sale value. We don't need to move it for our own needs, but our third bedroom has become irregular shaped because of the boiler cupboard & a chimney breast. It may be more hassle to remove the chimney breast, hence thinking about moving the boiler.

Separate-ish question... If we leave the boiler where it is, and 'plan' to install a new boiler at some point in the future, are there any pre-emptive provisions I can make when I have my new kitchen planned... i.e... put such and such a Cabinet X in here because that would be a good place for a new boiler if we wanted one in future?

Have a 22mm gas supply capped left ready for starters, pick an outside wall away from neighbours boundry, have a drain point fitted and capped off ready to take condensate, if it means flow and returns have got to get across the kitchen it may be advisable to run some pipes including a hot and cold behind the units to the boiler position, finally a 3amp switched fused spur with
an 8 core or two 4 cores of heat resist cable from the boiler to the airing cupboard. Have I missed owt anyone else :?:

Best to have the boiler in close proximity to your sink if it is a combi.
Easier to plumb and no dead leg :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back