Re-tiling shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have to replace the tiling in the shower as water has been running down into the kitchen.

Shower.jpg

There was plasterboard over the wooden batons. Looks like someone previously tiled directly onto the wall previously.

I am planning to increase the batons on the one wall and fit Aquapanels onto it to tile over. Also will fit some wood behind the mixer to secure it to the wall. The wall on the right is plaster on brick, can I just fill in the holes and tank it, or should I attach an Aquapanel to it too? Just trying to get it in working order without breaking the bank.

Sponsored Links
The wall on the right is plaster on brick, can I just fill in the holes and tank it, or should I attach an Aquapanel to it too? Just trying to get it in working order without breaking the bank.

YES mate you CAN fill in the holes then Tank OR use aquapanel, the choice is yours, either way will work ;)

Quick question, can I mount the Knauf Aquapanels vertically? Knauf say horizontally here but it looks like the same material throughout so I cant see what the difference is.

i have only ever mounted them horizontally, so would not like to sway you on this, maybe one of the other lads on here can give you better advice regarding this query

Sponsored Links
I've found a picture on Knauth where they've stuck one on vertically so I think I will be ok. Only using 2.

What do you normally bond them together when you're planning to tile over them? Can I use Silicon?

Do you use mesh and flexible adhesive to strengthen the joint or is that just for the floor aquapanels?

Use tape to strengthen the joint mate if you have any lying about as its better to be safe than sorry and it cant do any harm, I know a few tilers who just used the knauff sealer down the edge of one board then push next board into place ( therefore sealing the edges of both board and creating a seal between them ) never heard of any of them having problems later on doing it this way , but my personal preference is to tape up the joint as well. Yes you can use flexi adhesive

I have some Knauf tape which I was going to us with flexible grout, though as I'm going to use a tanking system with tanking tape can I just use that on the joins? Or should I do both?

Thanks for all your advise so far, I am making progress daily :)

Quick question, can I mount the Knauf Aquapanels vertically? Knauf say horizontally here but it looks like the same material throughout so I cant see what the difference is.

JC has the advice side of this well in hand but if the supplier/manufacturer of a product says do something a certain way, you can be sure that if you don't do it then they will wriggle out of any complaint if something ever goes wrong.

JC has the advice side of this well in hand but if the supplier/manufacturer of a product says do something a certain way, you can be sure that if you don't do it then they will wriggle out of any complaint if something ever goes wrong.

L95, That is 100% certain mate, if for whatever reason the boards fail, the manufacturers will try to wriggle out of it by saying it was not installed correctly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back