Re-Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Currently refurbing my bathroom.
Have removed the old tiles, but removing the old adhesive is proving a nightmare.
If I'm going to be re-tiling anyway, do I need to bother removing the old adhesive or can I just tile straight over ?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
There are a couple of options, it depends on the substrate!
New houses are generally plasterboard walls / partitions and therefore it is easier, cleaner and cheaper to remove tiles with the plasterboard, all you do then is fix new plasterboard and you have a perfect new surface for tile on, depending area I use tile board for showers etc.
Or, if the original tiles were easily removed and left the old tile adhesive you can carefully apply a steamer to the area, this sometimes softens and will aid the removal, a messy option and can compromise the plasterboard.
If you don't want to comb the adhesive on the wall then it will be fine to leave the old adhesive and coat the wall with a PVA sealer, leave to dry and use the old dot and dab method for reapplying the new tiles. This method can be more time consuming but will produce a satisfactory result.
Just read the additional text, if you are tiling the whole wall I would scrape it off, again here you could just steam it, if it was me I would probably re-plaster the wall and then tile it.
It comes back too, “How much work you want to put it, How good of a job to you want at the end”
Personally, sanding it would be a very messy and big job unless you have a powerful belt sander.
Hope this helps.

thanks. this helps.

I want to keep costs as low as possible so I'll give the steamer a go first, keeping re-plastering as a plan B.

Is there such a thing as a chemical or something that I could apply to tile adhesive to softens / dissolve it ?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Depending on the type of adhesive you are trying to remove, a wallpaper steamer can often soften old tile adhesive. It then just scrapes off with a filler.
Talk to your local tile supplier as they may be able to point you in the right direction.
I hope this helps you out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back