Tiling over old tile adhesive? A good or bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm starting my first tiling project: The bathroom - walls and floor. I've been doing DIY for a fair few years but just haven't ever tiled. All the advice points towards good preparation, so I'm really working on that. As I'm removing the old tiles I'm finding that I'll have to do a fiar bit of work on the walls to bring them up to standard. But for the floor, when I remove the old tiles I'll be covering it again completely and so wonder how important is it to remove the old adhesive? Can I tile on top of the old adhesive or is it better to remove it?

Any preparation tips welcomed!
Thanks a million

Sponsored Links
Always remove the old adhesive before tiling. The old adhesive may keep the tiles loose. So its better to safe than sorry.

if your having problems removing the old cement adhesive,then use a slc over the floor(a latex one)..

then dry lay your tiles to see how you cuts are,...sides off room/door thresholds...etc...

seal tiles..(if needed)...
work clean..wash along the way...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice guys. It took a long time to get the walls back up to scratch, the plaster etc took ages to dry as it very cold and humid here (I live in Milan) and I was back in Ireland for long break over Christmas. Before then I was just doing a few hours here and there as work allowed. I have a week before I get back to work so I'll be finishing it off before I go back to work... Hopefully! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back