Re-using a Fused Spur as a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIY folks,

I have just purchased an electric water conditioner. I need a power supply point (3 amp) to connect the device to.

I have located the cold water mains supply (in the bathroom), and the nearest electrical point is in the airing cupboard.

In the airing cupboard, there is a non-fused spur. Now, since I've moved in, this has Always been switched off.

My problem is, that I would like to use this fused spur point, and replace with a standard 3-pin plug socket. I haven't as yet taken the FCU cover off, and will of course shutdown the whole CU to be on the safe side.

I've looked at the CU to try and locate the relevant fuse, but it's hard to identify what the fused spur powered, IF it powered anything.

Any advice? Is it possible to use the point?

Cheers

S

Sponsored Links
It will most likely be an immersion heater circuit, 20amp dp switch fed via 2.5mm cable from a 15A fuse/ 16A breaker

You can leave the immersion in place, as a backup to the boiler, it is safe to run a 13amp immersion AND a 3amp water conditioner off a 16amp circuit, as 13a plus 3a equals 16 amps. that's the best method.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

Two more questions!

1. The immersion has two spured (but no removal fuse) switches connecting to it's temp gauges (round things on it), one with "off-peak" and the other is (presumably) constant. Hence, could this fused spur still be a backup? From your comments, there should be other wires so I'll be able to keep the existing FCU in place(as backup).

2. Is is ok to run the conditioner from the bathroom(it is tested and marked as safe for running in bathrooms) and drill through to the airing cupboard and run the wire through to the FCU?

Cheers

Sanj

I'm starting to get confused:

sanj said:
In the airing cupboard, there is a non-fused spur. Now, since I've moved in, this has Always been switched off.

My problem is, that I would like to use this fused spur point, and replace with a standard 3-pin plug socket. I haven't as yet taken the FCU cover off,

sanj said:
1. The immersion has two spured (but no removal fuse) switches connecting to it's temp gauges (round things on it), one with "off-peak" and the other is (presumably) constant. Hence, could this fused spur still be a backup? From your comments, there should be other wires so I'll be able to keep the existing FCU in place(as backup).

2. Is is ok to run the conditioner from the bathroom(it is tested and marked as safe for running in bathrooms) and drill through to the airing cupboard and run the wire through to the FCU?

There's no consistency in what you're saying regarding the presence, or not, of existing FCUs.

But if you want to keep the immersion, then you'll need to add a new FCU for the conditioner anyway. If the circuit is not already RCD protected, then you should use an RCD FCU, and probably a separate isolation switch if you can't find a switched RCD FCU.

And don't forget to sort out the supplementary bonding in the bathroom as you're adding a new plumbed in item, and a new electrical appliance.

Photo of the airing cupboard??

Round black things......on the tank......the immersion maybe? :LOL:

Don't forget to bond all the metalwork in the immersion cupboard, and run a earthing cable back to the main earth point at the consumer unit.

You must have one of these things controlling each immersion heater, a Fuse-Connection unit, i.e. MK K330 WHI from Screwfix will do fine.

Fit a 13 amp fuse in it for the 3kW immersion heater.

p2034740_l.jpg

Cheers for the advice. :)

To clarify my prev post:
1. I have 2 FCUs going directly to the immersions (thx lectrician!) for constant and off-peak connectivity. not going to touch these.
2. The non-fused spur was an "additional" FCU in the airing cupboard, with no obvious protruding wires, hence I don't know what purpose this was for. It's always been off.

to fit the conditioner, it looks like I will have to run a cable from the bathroom (cold water inlet) and drill through to the airing cupboard as that's the nearest power supply(assuming I can use the FCU in point 2).

All being said, I think I will get a pro to fit the extra socket/FCU as this sounds quite risky. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Sanj

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back