fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay takeing of internal boards in kitchen,there was one electric cable attached to air extracter via fused spur ..accidently pulled this ....wow flash and bang....Still alive though.....put electric off disconnected this cable going to fuse spur ..put power back on electric box keeps tripping,,on single fuse which controls air extractor and electric points......removed fuses from fused spurs and tried to reset electric box again same problem any ideas...Thanks Andy

Sponsored Links
Have you pulled anything loose at the other end?
Are cables still touching that you have disconnected, should have refitted it or terminated ends safely so no contact can be made and conductors can not touch.

Sponsored Links
Is there or was there other circuits controlled by this single breaker.
If so check they have not come loose or any other cables for that matter within the CU.
You will need to isolate the box before hand.

Is there or was there other circuits controlled by this single breaker.
If so check they have not come loose or any other cables for that matter within the CU.
You will need to isolate the box before hand.
I disconnected from fused spur (sorry what does Cu mean),there is 5 electric sockets then 2 fused spurs..................on the trip fuse

Right go back to the socket where the spur is taken from and check the wires have not been pulled loose at this point.
CU= consumer Unit, used to be fuse boards depending how old system is.

Right go back to the socket where the spur is taken from and check the wires have not been pulled loose at this point.
CU= consumer Unit, used to be fuse boards depending how old system is.
Okay sorry for the long delay of typing back....drove 5 miles to the house ,,,okay 2 fused spurs the main fused spur 3 amp plug which banged is okay ,,,,the main fused spur which i thought was okay i opened this and 13 amp fuse which was for washing machine.... I notice straight away that live red was black soot and plastic sheaf was melted......I wait till tommorow so i can switch of electricity and will put new fused spur...(DO YOU THINK THAT IS THE PROBLEM FIXED.And also the fused spur i have for replaceing is differnt ie Live load and live feed ...I guess that live feed is the main cable and load is the cable going to ie socket for washing machine???Thanks Andy

Sounds like when you pulled the cable you've shorted circuit.
You'll have live load and neutral load they are as you said the cables going to the load.
You will have live supply/feed and neutral supply/feed these are the cables suppling the voltage.
remember to also connect your earths up together.
Check all terminals are correct and tight.

Sounds like when you pulled the cable you've shorted circuit.
You'll have live load and neutral load they are as you said the cables going to the load.
You will have live supply/feed and neutral supply/feed these are the cables suppling the voltage.
remember to also connect your earths up together.
Check all terminals are correct and tight.
Thanks mate...maybe I will be able to sleep the night......................All the best Andy the serb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back