Re-using Extension Leads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Amongst the equipment which I inherited from my late father were a couple of 13A 3-core extension leads - one about 45' long, the other 75', so quite useful in my long garden! I checked them carefully for any sign of mechanical damage and also re-made the connections into the plugs and sockets to ensure all was firm and undamaged.

But....both have rubber-insulated flexes. Given their likely age, should I just be pragmatic and dump them as a potential safety hazard, or is that too drastic and they might be worth keeping?

Sponsored Links
At that length , even in perfect condition, you must use them in conjunction with 30mA protection.
A visual check along with a continuity and insulation resistance test will give you an idea of their suitability for continued use.

Ah...my number one rule outdoors, always use a plug-in RCD at the house/shed/garage socket and then plug the extension lead into that.

(I don't need these leads for indoors, much too long and become a trip hazard!, I have a modern shorter one for that purpose.)

Sponsored Links
But....both have rubber-insulated flexes. Given their likely age, should I just be pragmatic and dump them as a potential safety hazard, or is that too drastic and they might be worth keeping?
Nothing wrong with rubber insulated flex, it can still be purchased new.
All depends on how old they are, where they have been stored, what type of rubber insulation was used etc.

However as you can buy a new 25m extension lead on a reel with 4 sockets and an RCD plug attached for £34 delivered to your home, there is little point in bothering with those old ones.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/d190/sd2470/p94537

When did you late father purchase the leads?

A very good and pertinent question - but until I master psychic skills, not one that I can answer ;) But, as a rough guess, I would suspect at least 20 years ago.

However as you can buy a new 25m extension lead on a reel with 4 sockets and an RCD plug attached for £34 delivered to your home, there is little point in bothering with those old ones...

...except that, if it not necessary to throw the old ones away, then I'd rather use the £34 for something else!

When I was re-making the ends, I found in one of the sockets that the exposed sheathing on the flex neutral connector was very brittle and soon crumbled away, which is what started my train of thought about scrapping them. However, having cut off the exposed cores and stripped back to fresh, the insulation seemed still quite strong and flexible.
[/quote]

When I was re-making the ends, I found in one of the sockets that the exposed sheathing on the flex neutral connector was very brittle and soon crumbled away, which is what started my train of thought about scrapping them.
[/quote]

That is a sure sign that the rubber is well past its use by date.
It may be OK in patches but breaking up in others. It will depend on the temperature and environmental stresses over its lifetime.

Even if it works now it's due to fail - and it will - at the most inconvenient time. £20 will get you a self-rewinding cable reel

Don't mess about, buy a new one.

What colours the cores
If red and black and earth that will indicate aprox age

Yes - red, black and green.

As an after-thought, I checked the plug + connector on my own lead, and found that to be PVC with brown, blue and yellow/green. I know that I bought that in 1980!

Looking at the replacement cable reels which some of you have kindly suggested, and others that I have seen in the last few days, they seem to vary between 10A and 13A capacity.

In the past I have always erred on the side of caution, and future-proofing, and opted for 13A capacity. No doubt 10A would be more than adequate for most DIY-type power usage, but 13A has proved useful on occasions in the past, such as when I needed to run a 3KW fan-heater to dry out a damp shed!

Two things to remember with cable reels:

The stated current will be with the cable fully unwound. The handling current may be stated as 10amps but this will fall to 4 or 5 amps with the cable still wound on the reel.

The longer the lead the more volts will be lost if the load is quite high. You may find that the 3KW heater will not be as hot at the end of a 50 metre cable reel. The cable itself will get warm though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back