Re-using 'stuff'

the problem with second hand stuff and in particular timber, is a tuppenys worth of second hand wood can bu99er up a £90.00 circular saw blade in seconds.

Sponsored Links
From a punters point of view......I recently had an electrician in to do the wiring for a garage conversion. My consumer unit was obsolete, so to add the new breakers would have meant a whole new consumer unit = more cash. Spark said "I've got a whole stash of stuff at home.....I'll see what I can find"

Long story short, he found some second hand breakers - demonstrated testing them to me so I knew I wasn't going to burn the house down, and left me with a much smaller bill.

I was happy.

From a punters point of view......I recently had an electrician in to do the wiring for a garage conversion. My consumer unit was obsolete, so to add the new breakers would have meant a whole new consumer unit = more cash. Spark said "I've got a whole stash of stuff at home.....I'll see what I can find"

Long story short, he found some second hand breakers - demonstrated testing them to me so I knew I wasn't going to burn the house down, and left me with a much smaller bill.

I was happy.

Well, good on you. I use new personally with a guarantee attached.

Dave

Left overs from other jobs is fine, second hand timber, copper tube,electrical cable!! bloody hell who are these people?

Sponsored Links
I recycle a lot, mainly timber, whats the point of buying full lengths of timber for half a metre? Storage is always a problem (just ask my wife!)- getting a bit more ruthless now about what I save, but well worth it.

Many years ago a customer wanted a large 3-storey house converting to bed-sits on the cheap. I rewired the whole lot with 2nd hand cable, accessories and CU. Even 2nd hand screws & Rawlplugs, just to prove I could. And of course make the job worth doing. As I said he wanted it cheap.

Couldn't get away with that today!

Many years ago a customer wanted a large 3-storey house converting to bed-sits on the cheap. I rewired the whole lot with 2nd hand cable, accessories and CU. Even 2nd hand screws & Rawlplugs, just to prove I could. And of course make the job worth doing. As I said he wanted it cheap.

Couldn't get away with that today!

is that cause his house burnt to the ground due to electrical faults? ;)

I keep off cuts of copper pipe left over from jobs, no point in spoiling a 3m legth of copper if the job just needs 100mm or so. That being said theyre not used. Customer expects new as thats what theyre paying for!!!
Steve

I tend to hoard MCB's, RCCB's and RCBO's. Most electricians do.

Second hand cable, I'm not going to waste my batteries doing insulation tests on what is basically off-cuts!

According to some codes using material NOT used on potable systems shall not be used again.

When figuring a job the client is paying for new materials and thus I feel it is fradulent to sell old piping as new even if used under ground or behind a wall.

With product liability being a great place to start a law suit why take a change of installibng piping or fittings that were used?

Selling scrap metal and using the money to buy new stock is the way to go :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've done quite a few jobs where the customer specifies new pipework and is quite prepaired to pay for it. I would not cheat by trying to hide a bit where it would not be seen. On the other hand i'm quite happy to re-cycle their old pipework for them down at the local scrap yard.

Sponsored Links
Back