Re-using 'stuff'

I

imamartian

What do you pro's do? do you re-use stuff from jobs... e.g. copper pipe, screws, or especially timber?
i save everything, nuts, bolts, any timber, cable etc have a garage full.

Sponsored Links
I normally use new stuff on my jobs as this is what the customer is expecting to have installed.

I will use stuff left over from other jobs if it is still in as new condition.

Sponsored Links
but a 4ft length of copper pipe painted red, would save you a fiver and look fine behind a stud wall?

That is a pretty rare occourance as an electrician.

I can't realistically use cable removed from another job as the insulation resistance may have degraded, and chances are it will be old colours any way.

Stuff like back boxes will have the wrong knockouts removed.

I find you waste more time getting old stuff to do the job than you do with new stuff.

That is a pretty rare occourance as an electrician.

I can't realistically use cable removed from another job as the insulation resistance may have degraded, and chances are it will be old colours any way.

Stuff like back boxes will have the wrong knockouts removed.

I find you waste more time getting old stuff to do the job than you do with new stuff.
YOU sold me a mainswitch, second hand, and an RCBO that you had laying about. Care to rephrase anything there? :LOL:

i can use certain stuff such as fencing materials, bricks, blocks, etc that are new and left over from another job, but only as i have got a lot of undercover storage for it all. I do keep certain stuff that i take out of other jobs, but if its re-useable its sold to the customer on the basis of being re-used. Doesnt often happen, but sometimes you need to match in some weathered slabs or they want some old rockery stone etc.

otherwise its quoted as new and thats what they get. As mentioned before its often not worth the hassle in hauling it about, or what it will do to your reputation!

but a 4ft length of copper pipe painted red, would save you a fiver and look fine behind a stud wall?

in my humble opinion a very bad idea

you are selling the customer a service they expect new components and thats what you should give

you could loose a good reputation because the customer notices what he considers you cutting corners and before you know it your a cowboy
even though youve done a propper job that will last for years

if it`s trade waste there can be issues removing it from site, any saving just isn`t.

new everytime

The last time I fitted a kitchen I used a length of copper pipe that was lying around, It turned out to have a load of dirt in it and a small stone got stuck in the tap. it took me a couple of hours to get it out. I was trying to save the customer money.I've learnt my lesson now.

i never use second hand or stripped out gear.not worth the grief

yeah you're right, if i paid for new then i should get new. But in this 're-cycling' age.. i hate to see so many skips full wherever you go. I often ask people if i can take timber from their skips.
It was great when i bought a new house many years ago, they were still building around me and every evening when i got home from work i'd go and have a rummage through their skip (with the consent from the site foreman of course).

But back to your question, couldn't you give the customer a price for new, and an option for a bit of a cheaper price for re-cycled stuff.

I know in reality and all that, just playing devil's advocate i guess.

Sponsored Links
Back