Re-wiring a 3 and 4 unit light switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After thinking myself wise, i decided to replace my light switches in the lounge. One operates 3 lights and the other operates 4. I presumed that it would be a simple swap the wires over job and that would be that. However the new 3 light switch has a different layout from the original and has only L1 & L2 ( and the letter 2way) 3 times across the top and three COM1 slots at the bottom. It would also appear that the 3 switch also somehow dictates how the 4 switch operates.
Can someone help please!!

Sponsored Links
Please say you noted what goes where!!!! Or this will be an INCREDIBLY difficult job without a multimeter. It sounds like the classic mix up. There are 2 or 3 different systems for labelling switch terminals.

[code:1]type 1 type 2 type 3

COM ~ L1
L1 L1 L2
L2 L2 L3[/code:1]

Hope this helps. How was the old switch arranged? I think there's a diagram in "for reference" thread which shows the standard "triangle" arrangement. Theres also 2-way lighting diagrams which might be of help to you if you DIDNT note which wire went where . .

I did write down the setup for the 4 way 'triangle' switch but unless i get the 3 switch (L1 L2 COM) sorted first it appears to dictates how the 4 switch operates. I have a multimeter and have found all lives but i cannot get my head round how the switch itself works and therefore how it is linked to the other 4 switch. Too many wires....
The 3 switch is from Screwfix Direct - MK 3G 2W Sw. Does that help?
The 4 switch is a Crabtree standard budget type.
Will look at the references you quoted.
Thanks for the help.

We can normally help with switch problems, for standard 2-way setup etc, but with there being 4 switches and 3 switches, it is near impossible to help without being there.

You shouldn't have to worry about the wiring if you noted what went where. Just replicate the connections in the new switch. What went wrong?

Sponsored Links
Where to start.... Maybe i should not have let my wife decide on the new switches. Had they been the same as the ones replaced then none of this would have happened. However even with my brother helping he couldnt sort it out either. I will try once more to understand the switch and then will have to call in a local sparky to put back the mess. Could you recommend any literature which may help? I followed the links here but didnt find what is really needed.Thanks for all the help.Regs Dave

They are the same switch though - i bet.

dId the old 4 gang one look anything like this:
[code:1] C L1 L2 C L1 L2
L1 L2 C L1 L2 C[/code:1]
With the terminals of each switch arranged in alternating triangles (probably a bit closer together, to confuse you)?
And the new one . . .
[code:1] C C C C
L1 L2 L1 L2 L1 L2 L1 L2[/code:1]

If so, for the new switch, imagine the second and forth switch terminals - on the old plate - upside down, and you've got all the COMs along one row - like your new switch.

The old and new 4 gang switch look like the first code system you put however the 3 gang switch looks like the second version but with 1 way written above the L numbers.

manxviking said:
The old and new 4 gang switch look like the first code system you put however the 3 gang switch looks like the second version but with 1 way written above the L numbers.
It means the same thing. Just connect it with 1W as common. Manufacturers have all sorts of labelling systems for lights, just to confuse DIYers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back