SWITCH PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help.

I've got a two way switch downstairs which operates the hall light (1 pendant) and the other switch operates the upstairs landing lights (3 separate pendants). There is then a 2 way switch (I think see later) upstairs which also operates the same lights. Then there is a switch at the bottom of the landing which operates only the landing lights.

The problem is with the second switch as are is 4 lots of power cabling coming into the wall mounting box each with their own 3 / 4 cables. The original switch itself has 4 L1's and 4 L2's in all (2 lots on each side) with NO com option. The new switch has a COM, L1 and L2 on each of the 2 switches. How do I wire this all up as it all sounds like a right mess.

Sponsored Links
Can you take a picture or draw a diagram - compare with the drawings in 'for reference' at the top of the bulletin board.
If you are still stcuk post your picture here and see what we make of it.
regards M.

Thanks, I will take a photo as there is a fair few wires.
I'll attach it to my post tomorrow.

Rathilion said:
Please help.

I've got a two way switch downstairs which operates the hall light (1 pendant) and the other switch operates the upstairs landing lights (3 separate pendants). There is then a 2 way switch (I think see later) upstairs which also operates the same lights. Then there is a switch at the bottom of the landing which operates only the landing lights.

The problem is with the second switch as are is 4 lots of power cabling coming into the wall mounting box each with their own 3 / 4 cables. The original switch itself has 4 L1's and 4 L2's in all (2 lots on each side) with NO com option. The new switch has a COM, L1 and L2 on each of the 2 switches. How do I wire this all up as it all sounds like a right mess.

the switch in questions sounds like an intermediate. not 2 way. someone will be able to confirm this once you post a pic

Sponsored Links
Here is a diagram of the two switches the one on the left is the switch we currently use and the switch on the right is the proposed new switch.

Is there any way that the new switch can be wired, if so how?

Also if it can't can someone break down how the original switch works and possibly explain how it operates the various light / switches that I have described at the top of this post. The is four lots of cables (each with at least 3 wires) connected up at the minute and I'm not sure which cable goes to which switch / light.

switches.gif

Rathilion said:
Here is a diagram of the two switches the one on the left is the switch we currently use and the switch on the right is the proposed new switch.

Is there any way that the new switch can be wired, if so how?
The old switch is an intermediate. It makes connections between L1 & L2 either straight through, or crossed over, i.e. l l or X .

If you have situation where a light is controllable by more than two switches then you must have an intermediate, and you cannot replace it with the 2-way switch you have.

It is possible to use an intermediate switch as a 2-way - if you look at the description above, and at the diagrams here http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK/WiringDiagrams.pdf ,you should see that if you use one (either one) of the L1s as a COM, and the two L2s as if they were L1 & L2, then the switch will work like a 2-way...

The is four lots of cables (each with at least 3 wires) connected up at the minute and I'm not sure which cable goes to which switch / light.
That is something you will absolutely have to sort out. You will probably find a multimeter an invaluable tool...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back