Re-wiring angled batten lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am replacing an angled lamp holder which has a blue and brown wire which I know are neut and live. But the new fitting doesn’t specify which terminal is which so I want to make sure I have it the right way round. Does it matter? I have attached some photos of the new fitting plate and the terminals.

I have tried both options and they both work but I want to make sure it’s safe.

Any advice is welcome as I am a novice.

Thanks

Attachments

• 0C46D2C8-F147-4696-A4D0-05FAA0E3F843.jpeg
    0C46D2C8-F147-4696-A4D0-05FAA0E3F843.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 224DC0B1-F09E-4766-B616-9613030CDD26.jpeg
    224DC0B1-F09E-4766-B616-9613030CDD26.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter - but if the fitting is for a screw-in bulb then it is best to fit the live to the centre contact.

Thanks. Is the centre contact on the backplate?

Im also assuming as my light is 1-way I don’t need to use any terminals on the backplate, just the x2 points on the back of the bulb connector?

Thanks. Is the centre contact on the backplate?
No, in the bulb holder.

Im also assuming as my light is 1-way I don’t need to use any terminals on the backplate, just the x2 points on the back of the bulb connector?
You need to connect the cable in the picture to the rose (backplate) by going through the hole in it and then a piece of flex from there to the light.

Where does that cable come from?

upload_2021-10-31_13-24-19.png

Sponsored Links
Like this? New photo added. The previous fitting didn’t have a backplate so the two wires just went straight into the bulb holder.

Or do the wires actually need to go in to the L (brown wire) and N (blue) terminal on the rose?
What do you mean by flex? The fitting came with two little white wires do they fit into the same terminals and then attach the bulb holder?

sorry for my ignorance!

Attachments

• ACBE7F64-58EB-44EE-B9F2-FE9F4325B9D2.jpeg
    ACBE7F64-58EB-44EE-B9F2-FE9F4325B9D2.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 74
Like this? New photo added.
Well yes, but then the rose won't fit flush to the surface.

Or do the wires actually need to go in to the L (brown wire) and N (blue) terminal on the rose?
They should .

What do you mean by flex?
Flexible cable which is round and usually white.

The fitting came with two little white wires do they fit into the same terminals and then attach the bulb holder?
Probably not, it depends on the fitting. Picture of it?

Like this:

upload_2021-10-31_14-24-37.png

Your supply cables would usually go in the base,
switched live in the outer 2 terminals, Neutral in the outer 3 terminals.

The Two supplied White links just go from the base to the holder, either way round as it is a Bc holder.
1 in with the switched live, the other in with the N.
Its ok to bypass the lot and put your flex straight to the holder like you have though.

Not really an issue but there should also be an Earth there even if unused.

Last edited:
Ah. Have I misunderstood?

Is it just being replaced with another batten?

I, for some reason, thought you were fitting something else when you said new fitting.

Sorry for the confusion..

Ok, thanks all for your help. I have effectively done the attached (albeit no Earth wire) and works fine.

Attachments

• 9A46F2FB-8253-4BCC-8F59-CB33367D647E.png
    9A46F2FB-8253-4BCC-8F59-CB33367D647E.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 49
@EFLImpudence I think maybe a misunderstanding yes as I was swapping out with another batten, albeit a different baseplate. Think I’m all sorted now so thanks very much!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back