Ready Mix concrete or manual?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I am half way through building a conservatory base. I have made the strip footing, hardcore and 3 courses of brickwork and now ready to add damp proof insulation and concrete.

I estimate I need 1.8 cubic meters which I think will be around 4tons? Would anyone recommend ready mix or manual, the base is around the back of house, so will be whellbarrows I assume unless they have a big long pipe! I think the bags from local builders were about £60 x 4 plus cement mixer hire and transformer.

I live in North Dorset so would be interested in anyones experience with readymix concrete.

Thanks for replies

Sponsored Links
It has to be a large base before we use readymix unless it can be shot straight in.

Then again i have a pair of cement mixers and good blokes to mix it. I do all the tamping/laying.

It can work out quite expensive if you have to have a part load and a pump.

But, if you can find a supplier with a 4m cube truck, a few willing barrow boys and you can level and tamp fairly quickly then go for it.

The base is 4m by 3m and will be about 150mm deep. I think I missed that out from origianl post.

if they are down your way try mixamate. they will mix up exactly what you need, and well worth the cost. Get a mate into help you barrow or they have an onboard dumper to hire for 40 and the driver will bring it in, if you are not used to operating it. All clean and tidy when they are gone. We use them all the time for anything bigger than a large shed base. cant recomend them enough.

Sponsored Links
From my experience I'd go with ready-mix (and a pump for over 20 meters from delivery). The pump will cost about £125 but well worth it. It will usually include 2 operatives. All you then have to do is level and tamp. Even the levelling is reduced 'cos they'll spread it around with the pump. Job done in about 3 hours.
On the self-mix, as I explained in another post, I've done about 6 cubic metres over 12 days. One cubic meter, with one mixer is a long days work for two people. That's about 50 barrow loads.
Costs of ready-mix and self-mix are roughly equal. By the time you've bunged your assistants, I don't think there's much in it.

£125 for a pump, christ its £300 +vat and you have to do all the setting up and clearing away down our way.

I wouldn't consider mixing yourself unless you have people who know exactly what they are doing and know what to expect. Even half a cube is enough to kill off most amateurs. Hand mixing and placing a cube and a half is hard work even for experienced blokes.

A pump is ok but I've not come across one for less than £250 and you must provide somewhere to clean it out and hose it down afterwards. Very messy business I can tell you.

I'd go readymix and barrows myself. But you need at least three, or even four for that distance.

The most i have ever paid for a concrete pump up our way is £250. this was for 13.5 cube and a lot of waiting!

The concrete slab on our current job cost £170 to pump.

I would always recommend using a pump if the price is right as they save heaps of dollar and heartache, particularly when dealing with poor ground and difficult access.

But mixing, moving and laying concrete is all about what you are used to and your skill and competence levels.

What may seem like an unnecessary cost to one man will be a priceless 'must have' to another.

Good replies so far! I called one company who quoted £240 + vat for 2 cubic metres so that should be enough but only half an hour and a pound an hour over that! My wife likes the idea of the pumping concrete but I did not ask about this, so I will call a few mopre for some price estimates.

This weekend looks like it may be -2 at night so might have to miss this weekend.

Yes, I just checked, the pump cost me £170, about 2.5 years ago and that was to pump 6 cubic meters about 40 meters.
But the guys set up before hand, you just provide 1 bag of cement to prime the pump. They pumped the concrete, spreading it around as they went, They cleared up after them, hosing their equipment down in the street and clearing most of that up as well. Very little cleaning up afterwards for me to do. They will need a hosepipe to reach to their truck.
In my opinion definitely worth the money unless you already have the labour, equipment, experience and stamina.

The concrete company will usually be able to arrange the pump, if you decide to go that route. You may have to pay them seperately though.

I found a company who will do 2cubic metres for £180 + vat but pumping is a lot more, so i will use two wheelbarrows and will be quick so is definitely a cheaper and easier option!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back