ready mixed or mix up your own filler.

J

johnfox

hi all,just asking if the ready mixed pollyfilla is any better than the powder mixed with water.
who prefers which filler ?.
i need to fill cracks in ceilings prior to decoration.
thanks in advance.

no job now so its diy time.

Sponsored Links
I prefer the powder stuff for filling.

it is easier to use the ready mixed stuff for small jobs but more expensive.

the ready mixes are all much the same quality wise but if it is big cracks the use plaster rather than filler (avoid wickes ready mix plaster its carp)

I prefer the powder if I am filling pround & will be rubbing down, dries quicker as well & has been said is cheaper.

Sponsored Links
The best stuff I have tried is the light-as-air readymixed marshmallowy stuff...can't think what it's called now. It is by far the easiest and most usable filler I have ever tried -- I wouldn't use anything else ever again, regardless of the cost.

It's ready mixed plaster in a tub. Often a purplish colour. It's handy but you can't sand it.

thanks for replys.
any one used red devil one time filler ?.

no job,now diy time.

Mixiing your own give you more scope...thick mix for certain jobs thin for others, add a bit of PVA to the water for outside jobs or use oil based undercoat with filler for fine face filling (used to be called 'french putty')

Ready mixed filler, especially the fine surface type is like rubbing down concrete!

Im not keen on red devil or any of the lightweight fillers..ok to get you out of trouble but it doesnt dry hard enough when used for deep filling

You cant go wrong with a bit of free advertising either lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back