Real Wood (engineered) flooring TENTING, is there a fix ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2 weeks ago I put down Real Wood (engineered) flooring in Kitchen and it's now 'tenting' at joints in one corner

I did leave enough expansion gap but reading some good posts here, I did NOT cover wood with SEALANT or RONSEAL DIAMOND LIQUID WAX after laying and a LITTLE water hit the wood

Is there anything that can be done to fix before applying this LIQUID WAX

It's only a small area where boards meet, Im tempted just to TAP it down with hammer

Will this DRY OUT and RESOLVE ITSELF if just left alone

Sponsored Links
Hi Arthur

Normally, or most of the, wood-engineered flooring comes pre-finished. either lacquered or oiled/waxed. and it can handle some moist.
did you install the flooring (floating or glued down?) on new concrete/screed? If so, the problem might have been that the moist in your underfloor war still to high and is causing the problem?

Thanks for your reply

I put the flooring on foam underlay (from roll), ontop of 6mm ply, ontop of nailed floor boards, NO damp at all

Water leaked from Washing Machine BEFORE using Liquid Diamond Wax

Its only a small area but I dont know weather to wait to apply this LIQUID WAX now or wait til it flattens itself (if it does that is)

In a nutshell .........

Wood EXPANDS when wet

Does it CONTRACT when dry

Does it CONTRACT when dry

It normally does ;)), but.... depending on how much water, how long you left it and if there was any dirt or detergent in the water it could have long lasting effects on the wood, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't wait to apply the wax on the floor as to protect it against further drips and spillage. The wax won't prevent the existing moist in the boards form evaporating.
It's hard to advice when you can't see the problem in real life ;))
Have you checked if any water is still under the floor? I know it will be a pain removing that once your flooring is installed, but it could help solving the problem faster if all the water is gone from underneath it.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks wood...

Your cool mate, cheers

I'll leave to dryout for a while longer as I think that If I apply the WAX now it will only hinder the contracting action of the wood

Arthur Cider said:
About 2 weeks ago I put down Real Wood (engineered) flooring in Kitchen and it's now 'tenting' at joints in one corner
Is it not possible to take this flooring out as it's in the corner ?

If laying any type of wood flooring on concrete I always take a moisture check before I take on the job, it saves problems from the customer in the fucture.

Although wood expands when wet and contracts again when dry, in my experience it never contracts back to the size it was prior to the expansion.

It will always be slightly 'fatter' so I would take up that area, leave it to dry properly then re-fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back