Varnishing real wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just put in the bedrooms REALWOOD flooring rather than LAMINATE flooring.

To protect, I bought RONSEAL DIAMOND Varnish and on the tin it states..

NOT TO BE USED ON LAMINATE FLOORING.

1st point: Why not.

2nd point: Would REAL WOOD be the same as LAMINATE in this instance

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
imo (may be wrong) the answer is in the name "real wood"
laminate is a layer (or several layers) so the varnish will not "soak in" on a laminate floor.

so real wood is real, not some reconstituted stuff

lordlucan said:
NOT TO BE USED ON LAMINATE FLOORING.

1st point: Why not.

2nd point: Would REAL WOOD be the same as LAMINATE in this instance

1 and 2: Laminate flooring in the trade is the term used for Melamine Laminated Flooring. REAL WOOD in layers (with a top layer of solid wood) is also sometimes called laminate, but in order to prevent 'mistakes' we try to promote the name: Wood-Engineered flooring.

So you cannot use Ronseal varnish on a (Melamine) laminate floor, because it's a pre-finished product, you can use Ronseal varnish on an unfinished Wood-Engineered floor.

Hope this helps

Thanks most appreciated, what about if I lightly sand the new realwood floor before varnishing

Sponsored Links
That would get rid of greasy finger marks etc, but normally Wood-Engineered (unfinished) comes pre-sanded. (At least, ours does ;) )
You have the risk of creating sand mistakes which WILL show after you finish it with varnish/oil etc.

Thanks again

Im going to risk it and let you know (even post a picture here of finish)

Thanks very much, at least I now know what the risks are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back