Realistic limit for 60A fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Realistically, how far can I push my 60A main fuse before it pops? The reason I ask is that a friend has a very similar set of appliances to me and we both have a 40A electric shower. My spark advised that we shouldn't have any other high amperage device on when having a shower, especially the electric oven. My friends were 'gobsmacked' when I mentioned this as they had been quite happily showering whilst waiting for the roast to cook!

Sponsored Links
according to the graphs in the regs ( and assuming I'm reading it right ) a 63A BS88 fuse ( 60 not listed ) can take about 120A for 1000 seconds before it blows.. and 100A for 3600 seconds... so that's an hour at 100A...

bear in mind also that the cooker will be cycling on and off and not drawing full power all the time..

Your 60A service fuse (wheter it be a modern cartridge fuse or rewireable type) will comfortably tolerate anything that you can throw at it, within reason. There's no need for you wait for the shower to finish before cooking your goose.

Your electrician is exaggerating. Hopefully, he'll stop doing so when he reaches maturity.

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
An electric oven doesn't draw much (typically, 12A max during the heating cycle)

However, an electric hob draws a lot more.

(some people use the word "oven" to mean "cooker" which is a different thing)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back