Upgrading main fuse / electric showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one 8.5kW shower in the loft, I was considering getting another one downstairs. The thing is, my single phase supply only has a 60A fuse, which runs into a 100A isolator then on into a recently fitted CU. It's a three bed house with loft extension and a garage/workshop.

My question is
a) Is it doable to have the two showers with a single phase supply? I wouldn't want to have to worry about say boiling a kettle when both happen to be in use, if it's fitted I'd want it usable at any time.
[The CU has 5 x 32A (upstairs ring, downstairs ring, loft extension, kitchen, garage - rarely used), 1x 40A (shower), 4 x 6A lights]

b) Is my supplier (EDF) likely to charge me a silly amount of money to change the supply fuse and/or take a very long time to get around to it? Does it involve changing the supply cable too?

TIA

Sponsored Links
You would need to contact EDF/District Network Operator regarding upgrade that would be needed to your supply. If the main fuse is upgraded your phase and neutral tails CSA may also need to be increased.
Have you thought of an alternative to an electric shower?
What type of hot water heating system do you have in place?
Would it be possible to install a thermostatic or pumped shower, which could reduce the output needed or eliminate the need for any additional electrical connection?

You would also need to look at the ability of your water supply to feed two showers satisfactorily at the same time.

I have one 8.5kW shower in the loft, I was considering getting another one downstairs. The thing is, my single phase supply only has a 60A fuse, which runs into a 100A isolator then on into a recently fitted CU. It's a three bed house with loft extension and a garage/workshop.

b) Is my supplier (EDF) likely to charge me a silly amount of money to change the supply fuse and/or take a very long time to get around to it? Does it involve changing the supply cable too?

TIA
I know of some DNO's who make the change without any problems but as I found out it will depend on other factors outside your control.

The quote I received to replace 60Amp fuse with 100Amp was just under £3000. Scottish Power stated that if the rating of the main fuse was increased then the size of the cables it protects (their cables) would also have to be increased - hence digging up my garden and the adjacent road.

Sponsored Links
a 60amp fuse sounds rather low for a house of that size. I would expect 80 or 100amps.

I guess its a fairly old property?

If so, the incoming cable CSA could be very thin, hence the 60A fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back