Really confused about bedroom door sizes....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would quite like to change the 4 doors upstairs in my house but having a massive headache figuring out which doors to order and where from.

I have an account at Howdens (via a friend) and upon consulting their door brochure theres no sizes that they supply which are near enough the correct size to trim down to.

All of the doors I have in currently are roughly 2ft 4in wide give or take a few mm on eachso i've been looking at the 2ft 4in wide doors they have in Howdens and there is a limited choice. There seems to be everything in 2ft 3in and 2ft 6in wide and I believe you can only take about 5mm off each side otherwise I would just get 2ft 6in ones and have them cut shortened.

Another issue is the height of the doors. They are all standard 6ft 6in high however my doors are all various heights between 6ft 3in and 6ft 4in.

my house is a standard 1930's house so yes some of the doors a bit skewiff but I can't be the only one having this issue? I really quite like the Dordogne doors at Howdens but they dont do the Dordogne smooth in the correct width and in the Dordogne oak they have the right width but I have the same issue with the height.

Anyone able to offer any advice/assistance?

Sponsored Links
NO you're not the only one. If your doors are odd sizes, either you need to spend a fortune on custom doors, or buy door blanks and cut them down (which limits the possible appearances), or change the size of the openings, or - and I think this is what most people probably do - keep the crap old doors.

In the past I've adjusted beyond the standard by cutting to size then fit /glue/clamp a new batten, then plane flat. It's a lot of faff though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back