Really simple q...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an outhouse that was wired by an electrician fairly recently
It had 2 lights inside it, a ceiling & wall light
I removed the ceiling light, and just taped up the wires that connected to it, as I don't want a ceiling light in there any more, then plastered them up in the ceiling
Now the other light doesn't work either.
The sparky who installed it said I needed to rake out the wires I plastered up & make a circuit to the switch line
What does that mean - do I just join them together or what?
The room has a modern consumer unit in it but not RCDs BTW
I am not (clearly) a sparky so if you could keep your explanation as simple as possible I would really appreciate it!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I removed the ceiling light, and just taped up the wires that connected to it, as I don't want a ceiling light in there any more, then plastered them up in the ceiling
That was silly and dangerous.

The sparky who installed it said I needed to rake out the wires I plastered up & make a circuit to the switch line
I suggest you get him back to do it safely.

What does that mean - do I just join them together or what?
Can't really tell from here.

Post a picture of the wiring.

It's not really a simple q...

If there are sockets in there, then you must, must have an RCD.

Maybe it is fed from an RCD protected circuit in the house?

If there are sockets in there, then you must, must have an RCD. Maybe it is fed from an RCD protected circuit in the house?
... or maybe the 'modern CU' for the room does contain an RCD (or RCBOs). Some people think that RCD's are all 'standalone' items.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

Did you test the wall light still worked, after removing the ceiling light and before applying the plaster sarcophagus?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back