REAR AXLES - problems

nec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: It is some years since I last owned a vehicle with a rear axle that drives the wheels. The old banger that I am now in is tending to make a rubbing noise at speed which I suspect is coming from the axle. Oil changed today - it was pretty crop that came out. Can anyone offer any thoughts as to how I can pinpoint what it might be :oops:

Sponsored Links
what car is it and does it have any 4wheeldrive capability (i.e. like Suzuki jeep with freewheeling front hubs)

can you describe the noise a little better please. rubbing would suggest fouling on bodywork. creaking would sugest springs, groaning would suggest void bushes, rumbling suggests bearings and clanging when chaging gear or changing speed suddenly suggests worn crownwheel&pinion gears.

was there any metal stuck to the drain plug or in the oil when changed?

Ron,
Thanks for thehe response - it is a 1999 Susuki Carry 1.3 van, rear wheel drive with 83 k on the clock - mileage looks genuine.
Always difficult to describe noise but it is apparant from say 45 mph and drowned out at higher speeds. Have had the rear wheels off and nothing fouling. There is however a fair drag on the raised wheel when you spin same by hand.
On changing the oil I found no trace of deposits but the oil was well smelly and had been in there for a long time.
I only need the vehicle for 3 months or so whilst a new van is on order - will last is the question. My thoughts are that as long as oil is in there it will keep going! - any thoughts on that please?
thanx again.

Sponsored Links
nec said:
Ron,
Thanks for thehe response - it is a 1999 Susuki Carry 1.3 van, rear wheel drive with 83 k on the clock - mileage looks genuine.
Always difficult to describe noise but it is apparant from say 45 mph and drowned out at higher speeds. Have had the rear wheels off and nothing fouling. There is however a fair drag on the raised wheel when you spin same by hand.
On changing the oil I found no trace of deposits but the oil was well smelly and had been in there for a long time.
I only need the vehicle for 3 months or so whilst a new van is on order - will last is the question. My thoughts are that as long as oil is in there it will keep going! - any thoughts on that please?
thanx again.

A dragging brake will show up as a hotter wheel & tyre after a blast on the motorway or A-road. You'll also feel the back end of the van try to step out under braking. It will want to go the opposite way to the side with the problem. (i.e sticky left rear brake = back of van swings right. Try it with a dinky car....)

Try a bottle of Molyslip in the back axle. This will prolongue the bearing life but if the gears are worn then you'll not quieten it down easily. Put a couple of layers of carpet in the back of the van (or a mattress :) )

Thanks Ron, it is not the brakes but I suspect worn gears in the axle. We did 300 plus miles yesterday and it is still going so will try the Molyslip to see if that will 'prolong its active life'. A better radio turned up higher will also help I have decided! ;)

poke a pair of nylon tights through the oil filler hole on th axle and go for a spin. works better than sawdust!

therev said:
poke a pair of nylon tights through the oil filler hole on th axle and go for a spin. works better than sawdust!

fishnets and axle grease - that's my kinda girl......

I'd heard that porridge oats works quite well to quieten down noisy transmission but not for auto's and overdrive boxes which have built-in filters.

New 'old' axle obtained today together with a load of other stuff which hopefully will bring the rest of the van back to the superb condition that the engine appears to be in at the moment:cool:

If notI will have to resort to taking off the tights ;)

Sponsored Links
Back