Rear extension question - terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am planning a single story, flat roofed, rear extension to our terraced house.

I want to build out (just under 3m) into the existing garden, but also laterally out towards the boundary fence with our neighbour.

The problem this will cause is to effectively create a long thin courtyard that would run down the side of the house to allow in light. It would only be accessible from the new extension through a doorway.

The reason I would like to this approach is that there is a stairway up to the flat above which reduces the width of the house.

I’ve attached a picture below, does anyone know of a building reg or planning issue with this plan?

Thanks in advance

James

upload_2016-10-21_13-44-52.png

Attachments

• Plan.png
    Plan.png
    279.8 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
Doesn't like it complies with PD, which means a planning application. Why not widen the kitchen by 1m into that courtyard too?

AS above, that would need planning permission as it is wider than one-half the width of the house and extends betond a wall forming a side elevation.

Sponsored Links
The question mentioned nothing about PD. Clearly this development is well beyond the scope of PD, so why's everyone banging on about it ?!?!

There's no Building Regs issue here, but the proposal is likely to be contrary to local planning policy.

I'm confused, OP says its a terraced house?

Possibly an issue with the first floor windows (whether flat or house) with means of escape into a very small enclosed courtyard/lightwell but it depends on the escape route internally. Otherwise I can't think of any issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back