Rebated skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently bought an upstairs maisonette which needs a lot of renovation and I wanted some advice on this before I have to rip off the skirting boards which i hate and no doubt will **** off the residents who live downstairs.

I want to remove the old flowery carpet and replace with a wooden floor, but I am loathed to use beading which I think looks naff having done it before then changed to taking off the skirting for a more aesthetic appearance. I have been looking at rebated skirting which would look nicer than the old nasty stuff that is there, however i fear the thickness will make it very difficult to get the floor close enough to the old skirting to cover the gap. Does anyone know of a rebated skirting with a thicker base or a way of perhaps cutting a piece out the base of the old skirting or any other suggestions?

Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and remove the old skirting?

Thank you

Russell

Sponsored Links
I don't understand why you need a rebated skirting. Why can't you fit the flooring and drop the new skirting on top?

You can, in theory, use a number of different tools to remove the lower part of the skirting in situ. Not something I have attempted to do though. My old Festool plunge saw can be used on its side for such jobs, as can my old Dewalt biscuit joiner. Nevertheless, you will need to remove the skirting on the opposite wall to push the floor together.

Someone like @JobAndKnock will be able to assist you more though.

Yes, I don’t understand either?

you need to remove the old skirting first. It isn’t hard to do but can be a bit messy . Use a dust sheet and work slowly, try not to break it as the longer the bit in play, the more leverage that you have. You need a crowbar /prybar.

fit the floor, fix new skirting.

But you should check that you are allowed hard flooring. Many flats have a ban on wooden floors.

I recently bought an upstairs maisonette which needs a lot of renovation and I wanted some advice on this before I have to rip off the skirting boards which i hate and no doubt will **** off the residents who live downstairs.
I have to say that when anyone moves into a new (to them) house a certain amount of noise whilst alterations, renewals, etc take place is inevitable. You need to grasp the nettle on this - go introduce yourself, tell them what you intend to do, and keep all the work being done in the 8am to 6pm time slot (Monday to Friday) or 8am to 1pm ti.e slot on a Saturday (never mind the law in general, these are the times recommended by many councils these days).

I want to remove the old flowery carpet and replace with a wooden floor, but I am loathed to use beading which I think looks naff having done it before then changed to taking off the skirting for a more aesthetic appearance. I have been looking at rebated skirting which would look nicer than the old nasty stuff that is there, however i fear the thickness will make it very difficult to get the floor close enough to the old skirting to cover the gap.
I'm a bit mystified about what you intend to do, here. Firstly, by rebated skirting I take it that you mean the profiled stuff where the rebate is at the back and is meant to hide pipes or wiring:

Rebated Skirting 001.png

Although there is a square-edged board you sometimes see where the rebate is installed top, front as a decorative feature:

Rebated Skirting  002.jpg

This is normally installed with the rebate at the top, not the bottom and is installed with a rebated architrave. So what do you intend to do with a rebted skirting?

You are also talking about having a wooden floor - what is the sub-floor (i.e. the floor beneath the carpet) made of? (e.g. concrete, parquet, planks, chipboard, plywood, etc) and what sort of finish flooring are you considering installing? (e.g. laminate, engineered wood, parquet, solid wood etc). If we know that a better, more specific answer is possible. Also a picture if the existing skirting would be a great help

Does anyone know of a rebated skirting with a thicker base or a way of perhaps cutting a piece out the base of the old skirting or any other suggestions?
You don't normally rebate the bottom of a skirting - you normally either remove, install the new flooring then reinstate/replace OR you undercut the existing skirtings and install flooring (needs a flooring saw - look up Crane Flooring Saws - can also be done with a multitool but is hellishly slow, very noisy and difficult to get a straight enough edge) OR you hide the floor edge with a beading

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back