Rebuilding Chimney stacks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does the taking down and rebuilding of a tall chimney stack require Building Regs approval?

Richard

Sponsored Links
Technically it could be the alteration to a controlled fitting which would require approval or possibly be done by a "competent person"

In the real world, hell no, just get it done.

Technically it could be the alteration to a controlled fitting which would require approval or possibly be done by a "competent person"

In the real world, hell no, just get it done.

How is it an alteration if it's not being altered? And how is it a "fitting"?

It is being altered because it is being removed and replaced and it is a controlled fitting because it is a flue. But as I suggested that would be a very pedantic interpretation. I certainly wouldn't bother applying but we don't know why the OP is asking.

Sponsored Links
I'm asking because it's my neighbours who are having the work done and if the chimney were to fall it would make a nasty mess of my garage roof and possibly the cars in it.

It's not being altered just taken down, the lead trays replaced and rebuilt exactly as it was.

Just wanted to know if it is controlled.

Richard

If it was going to collapse nothing Building Control would do would make the slightest bit of difference, IF it was controlled all they would be interested in would be the flue and making sure that complied with Part J or was no less compliant than before.

Rather than grass up your neighbour and start a long running feud why not just tell them you are a bit worried about your garage roof.

I spoke with the builder guy yesterday and he said the existing lime mortar (house built in the 20's) was now very weak so needed to be replaced and the tile dpc just above the lead trays into the roof were damaged.

My concern is that he is going to lay new engineering style bricks and cement mortar on the original brick base which is just on or below roof level but how is this going to be any stronger as the whole stack is still sat on the lime mortar base.

I did ask him how the new bricks were going to be tied in but didn't get any answer which made sense to me.

He has already done the stack on the other side of the house and that looks good, but it is the strength of the join between new and old bricks which gives me some concern.

I guess Building Control wouldn't have any bearing on this anyway from what you say.

Unless it is a very tall slender chimney stack and you are in one of our more windy spots in Dorset I wouldn't worry. The weight of the bricks alone is probably enough to stop it being blown over, the adhesion of the mortar is less critical.

Chimney stacks normally collapse because they are dilapidated and just fall apart or are struck by lightning. It would take a hurricane to blow one over that is in good condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back