rebuilding coalhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built in 1910. It has a coalhouse/outside bog, was two rooms, knocked into one. One of the doors is original but has been screwed and secured shut, the other door being a retrofitted "farmhouse door".

Anyway, the building is in a terrible state. The roof needs renewing - the tiles are cracked and breaking up. The ceiling inside (half was laths and plaster) is cracking and falling in. The floor is uneven (large stone slabs and small stone cobbles), and worn away at the entrance. The walls outside have decayed at ground level due to having no water runoff, several joints at the corner have no mortar in them, and the bricks are decaying. The gutter has fallen off, I tied it up with string to keep it there. The brickwork inside is also awful, including the back wall onto next door's coalhouse.

Next door has had theirs refurbished some time ago, and looks good.

However, I feel that my coalhouse is beyond refurbishment.

What are my options?

Knock it down, level the ground and forget. Could cause problems with next door's roof having no triangulation?
Knock it down and rebuild - would need new foundations to current standards - ££££
Repair the current structure including a new roof. Could be a waste of time?

Pictures attached. Opinions please!!!

Cheers muchly!

(Yes I have posted this here before but wanted fresh opinions on the current state of the building)

Sponsored Links
I love it. You'd be mad to destroy an original building. Re-point, redo verge fillets, paint. Fifty quid tops.

I love it. You'd be mad to destroy an original building. Re-point, redo verge fillets, paint. Fifty quid tops.

Do go on . . . What materials shall I use? What to do about the doors? I'm fairly sure once the door frames are removed the brick pier in the middle will collapse (or at least be very unstable).

Sponsored Links
Storage. Bike, lawnmower, garden table and chairs folded flat.

Size as it is is fine. Just falling apart! And budget very limited!

My house was built in 1910. It has a coalhouse/outside bog, was two rooms, knocked into one. One of the doors is original but has been screwed and secured shut, the other door being a retrofitted "farmhouse door".

Anyway, the building is in a terrible state. The roof needs renewing - the tiles are cracked and breaking up. The ceiling inside (half was laths and plaster) is cracking and falling in. The floor is uneven (large stone slabs and small stone cobbles), and worn away at the entrance. The walls outside have decayed at ground level due to having no water runoff, several joints at the corner have no mortar in them, and the bricks are decaying. The gutter has fallen off, I tied it up with string to keep it there. The brickwork inside is also awful, including the back wall onto next door's coalhouse.

Next door has had theirs refurbished some time ago, and looks good.

However, I feel that my coalhouse is beyond refurbishment.

What are my options?

Knock it down, level the ground and forget. Could cause problems with next door's roof having no triangulation?
Knock it down and rebuild - would need new foundations to current standards - ££££
Repair the current structure including a new roof. Could be a waste of time?

Pictures attached. Opinions please!!!

Cheers muchly!

(Yes I have posted this here before but wanted fresh opinions on the current state of the building)

Steve, that building is steeped in history whatever you do dont just demolish it but take it down brick by brick and clean them up and restore it,put a new floor and roof on it.speak to your neighbour to protect his property and you will be enternally happy with it

I thought joe was joking! Hmmm, i think repairing the walls might be the way forward, new roof and door, properly board up the other door so it looks nice, self-level the floor? Render the inside. These are the ideas ive had. any thoughts? Im really not into all that preservation of history in an anonymous 2 up 2 down in the backstreets of doncaster. I can understand the sentiment etc, but im not planning to be here more than a few years!

I thought joe was joking! Hmmm, i think repairing the walls might be the way forward, new roof and door, properly board up the other door so it looks nice, self-level the floor? Render the inside. These are the ideas ive had. any thoughts? Im really not into all that preservation of history in an anonymous 2 up 2 down in the backstreets of doncaster. I can understand the sentiment etc, but im not planning to be here more than a few years!
Leave the door - paint the stable one black to match - Sell the rooftiles and the slabs and cobbles :idea: Render the inside walls . Lay a sheet of damp proof membrane and concrete it over for the floor

I'd keep the roof tiles, just take them off, felt, batten and relay.

I'd do what joe-90 said. Re-point the brickwork and re-use the pantiles, as they don't look too bad from here. If you use a good quality felt it will keep it watertight anyway. A friend of mine double felts things like that if the tiles look a bit iffy.
Not worth spending a lot for storing a few bits in. It could look good when it's done.

Ok. Some concerns. The black door is rotting, theres a big "mouse hole" at the bottom. Could i just give this a good coat of black gloss?

The ridge tiles were put on by next door - their side has modern tiles. But i have their written permission from the landlord to remove these if i need to. These photos were taken last year before winter set in and the tiles have chipped and decayed further. I do have a load of spare tiles from the main house roof but i think that was done a good 20-30 years ago! So not sure on the condition of these.

Do i need to do anything to the walls before i render them? What mix should i use? How thick?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back