Recabling Bathroom Heater Element

Thanks for the photo - Maybe that's what I need to do. Tricky job though. I'll have to figure out how I'm going to cut the tile in situ to fit a fused flex outlet
Why a fused one? How is the rad currently supplied??

And even after you've got a new element with a longer lead it'll still look pants trailing over the wall like that.

Take the rad off, cut the tile here-ish

(probably further to the left so that the accessory plate lines up with the RH edge when fitted) - that way there'll only be two cuts to make in the tile), and put a polished chrome outlet plate there. It'll be fiddly to get the rad wired in - you'll need to support it as close as possible to its installed position so that you keep the flex as short as possible, but the end result will be worth it. You could move it further down if you wanted to - I'm sure at some point you'd find a position where the flex was long enough to reach, so no new element. You might even be able to get it below the rad and not need to take it off the wall.

Another idea which would avoid cutting the tile, but wouldn't look as good, and might not be appropriate for the location anyway would be a surface mount polished chrome pattress on the wall.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ban-all-sheds - Good advice.

You're right - The flex outlet wouldn't need to be fused as there's already a fused isolator further back on the supply.

Would you be able to route the load cable from that to a flex outlet?

The isolator is located outside the bathroom. The load cable runs from it behind the (false) wall to behind the heater and comes out through a small hole cut in a tile. If I fit a flex outlet I'm fairly sure the existing load cable will be long enough to reach it - I'd just need to take off the crimped connectors, poke the cable back into the recess behind the wall, and then fish it out again behind the flex outlet.

Sponsored Links
a small hole cut in a tile
This sort of thing would be the neatest way to make good that hole:

8890795_tp.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back