Installing wall fan heater in bathroom - advice, please ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install a "pull cord" fan heater on the plasterboarded stud wall of my upstairs bathroom.

RCD is installed at consumer unit.

There's an unused fused spur outside the bathroom, so I can run a cable from there and down through the stud wall, and then bring it out into the bathroom.

But (in my view) there should be a flush-mounted junction box there of some sort, to connect a short length of flex to the cable, with a neat hole in the cover plate. I know you can get fused spurs which have just such a neat hole formed for just that purpose - but (in my view) you shouldn't actually have a fused spur in a bathroom !

Or do I just leave a jagged hole where the cable comes out, and connect the cable direct to the heater? Yes, of course, that jagged hole will be hidden behind the heater - but still - it offends my sensitivities to leave a nasty hole !

I've got a similar need in the bedroom - previously there was a strip light over the headboard, which I have removed - but the cable comes out through a jagged hole in the plaster, ending in a 3-section (LNE) piece of "chocolate block" strip connector. We've taped it and hung a little picture over it, but *I* know it's still there !

What would *you* do ?

Sponsored Links
Use a "Flex Outlet Plate"

I've been searching and searching ! But I didn't know what they are called ! Thank you !

Pity they are so big. Yes, I know - "standard size".

We've also got the same challenge in the parlour - we've removed a sconce. Senior Management said just tape it and plaster over it....

"Why can't they" ... standardise on a smaller box (maybe even a round one), for sconces, incorporating fixing screw - again, to a standardised spacing. I s'pose (if it fits) one could use the 3.5mm face-plate fixing screws... Niche in the market?

I'm rambling... sorry !

Thanks again.

Pity they are so big. Yes, I know - "standard size".
Yup - they need to fit a standard galvanised box or plastic pattress.

We've also got the same challenge in the parlour - we've removed a sconce. Senior Management said just tape it and plaster over it....
Senior Management is desperately wrong there if the cable remains in the wall. Not allowed to have no evidence of its presence.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

"Why can't they" ... standardise on a smaller box (maybe even a round one), for sconces, incorporating fixing screw - again, to a standardised spacing. I s'pose (if it fits) one could use the 3.5mm face-plate fixing screws... Niche in the market?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=("besa+box"+OR+"round+conduit+box")

Sponsored Links
Senior Management is desperately wrong there

I know ;)

1126.strip.gif

Used to be able to use an architrave gridswitch with a flex outlet module, but MK seem to have stopped architrave gridswitches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back