Recabling Bathroom Heater Element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've condemned this dodgy connection to a heater in the bathroom ( crimped connectors covered by insulation tape ! :rolleyes: )

Does anyone know if an electrician will be able to recable the element on this bathroom heater or whether a new element with a decent length of cable already attached is required ? - If so I'll buy one online ready for him to install.

Also how do these heaters operate ? Are they oil filled around the electric heating element ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Riveralt's right they are water heated units.

When the element comes out you should drain down the unit, and refill from the top when ready.

Most are a modest 100- 250w element, see TLC site "heating" for elements from £35 or so.

It's been a while since I did one, but I'm pretty sure the flex connects via spade crimps that slip on to the LN element tongues.

I'd suggest you discon, check the existing element off the rad to confirm if you can replace the jointed lead, 10 minutes work might save you £40 odd :D

Thanks for your replies.

I assume that when I refill the radiator with water I should leave an air gap at the top to allow for expansion ?

Sponsored Links
The one in your pic looks like it will have it's connections sealed in PU resin.

This lead is not replaceable unfortunately, and probably explains the crimps.

I managed this in my own bathroom

Towelrad.jpg

The one in your pic looks like it will have it's connections sealed in PU resin.

This lead is not replaceable unfortunately, and probably explains the crimps.

I think that you're right - If I buy a new element do you think it's likely to have a longer lead on it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back