Recent installation...........quality problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everyone I’m new to this forum due to being in a bit of a pickle.

The situation.
Went on holiday, while away had 9 windows and composite door replaced while I was away by a recommended installer. I’ve come back to what seems like a massacre.
The reason I’m posting is because I’m not sure if I’m being to fussy or not.

I was wondering if anyone with knowledge could help me figuring out what’s acceptable and what isn’t. I’ve found so many problems I’ll do the step by step.

1st image I’m pretty sure the Glass in the door needs replacing it’s misty and the casing can been seen the border doesn’t seem to cover the glass properly, one side of the window you can see the black cassette by about 5mm the other side is recessed.

Hopefully some can shed some light on this and thank you in advance if you do.

Attachments

• 0328D6FF-9CC7-4BE8-8BF9-0B67BDF78994.jpeg
    0328D6FF-9CC7-4BE8-8BF9-0B67BDF78994.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 353
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 372
Sponsored Links
Yes, the glass in the door is almost certainly Pilkington K, its a low E(emissivity) glass that regs demand, the blue misty effect is the metallic coating which reflects the heat back into the room, back in the day Pilkington K was the only choice but there are many more manufacturers of low E glass nowadays, my personal choice is Planitherm total +, made by Saint Gobain Glass. I guess this only affects the door because it was made and supplied by someone different to the windows, the door manufacturer uses Pilkington K while the window manufactuer if the glass is clearer(without the blue hue) uses Planitherm.

The second problem is the glass in the door doesn't central, you don't normally have so much slack to get it that far out one way, it could be the glass is too small in the width and simply wants repositioning, however that would mean stripping down the glazing casette(the beads and all the geo bars) so while at that point I'd ask to have the glass changed to planitherm total +.

Two problems solved, not biggies really, I agree though the glass looks s***, I stopped spec'ing it because of the colour

Thanks for your reply will get this looked into.

Onto the next problem.....chips

These chips are from the door frame and outside window. Every window has similar chips, installer has told me in a brief conversation this is normal manufacturing issue and you just touch it up with a pen and everything will be fine. My concerns are they will still be noticeable and would the spots need to be covered up again over time.

Attachments

• F16C4E89-70C8-47D3-B2BD-7338FDACB878.jpeg
    F16C4E89-70C8-47D3-B2BD-7338FDACB878.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 355
If they were touched up before you'd seen them then you'd probably never have seen them, now no matter what anyone says probably won't convince you. The touch up pens are specific and made for chips like these, there's even coloured waxes for larger chips, it's disappointing that they didn't touch them up before you came back but give them a chance, ones a cill and the other is the door frame, the cill could be replaced if needed without too much effort, frame not so

Sponsored Links
Chips like that on all 8 window frames and the door frame.

Onto the next problems.....

And couple of these have been cut with the ends not fitting squarely and 1 just filled with mastic. There seems to be no consistency with the fit of these trims, some are rubbing on the frame some are 10mm away from the frame

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 338
  • 2FE89267-C629-43D0-B47C-E05CD5DC2828.jpeg
    2FE89267-C629-43D0-B47C-E05CD5DC2828.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 341
Onto the next.....

The exterior joins look horrible. It appears some have been painted already, some have what I assume is bad mitre joins and some have white bits showing. I have a 15 year old brown upvc conservatory and the joins all look perfect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 336
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 344
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 355
Poor touching up, think they may have even used a mahogany coloured pen not a rosewood one which is darker. One of the welds hasn't been cleaned up very well, the foil looks to have melted resulting in a thcker than normal pen line plus the chip next to it, theres a few fabricators on this board who might give an opinion but in my eyes they're poor quality

Thanks again.

Onto the next some trim......

To me this is bad workmanship.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 354
Back to the door.
Trim along the middle not lining up looks horrible.

Should I be able to see the inside of the plastic mesh/cover. Personally think it’s poor quality.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 326
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 343
Not lining up, you mean the length is longer than the one below? What is the other end like, long as well or short, this 'trim' is a drip bar and clips onto button headed screws, it should be loose enough to tap over so long as theres room

The mesh/cover? Not sure what you mean

The top proscenium is longer than the top....bad quality again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 319
You can see the inside if the grinding. It’s basically a plastic clip on cover

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 325

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back