Recent job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all. I don’t post on here so much these days due to a change in circumstances but just thought I’d share with you a picture of one of my most recent installations. Hope you enjoy! (This isn’t a wind up by way!)

4C07CED9-A41F-4012-A088-1C14C9C47F9B.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I've seen server rooms like that. I was shocked. Not like that in the movies

Fly gallery? But clearly flies not in use with all those cables in the way

Sponsored Links
Fly gallery? But clearly flies not in use with all those cables in the way

This is at flys level but on the opposite side of the stage to where the flys are operated from.

The current temporary touring install comprises of about 200 individual 16A circuit mostly run on 6 circuit socapex cables and 5120 channels of control data.

Our supplies are 400A three phase for toured in lighting, 250A three phase supply for sound and auxiliary equipment such as motors, and 200A three phase for the in house dimmers which supply 264 dimmable circuits (a mixture of 2kW and 5kW circuits)

If that's in for a week, fine. If its panto or longer i'd call it a bit scruffy but nowt outrageous. 10 universes of DMX- lightweight these days (last tour I did we were running 22 not including video)

What would that have looked like in the analogue days, or does the digital age mean more complex lighting options are now used

What would that have looked like in the analogue days, or does the digital age mean more complex lighting options are now used
It means different. There'd have been a bit more TRS plugged into the house dimmers and nowhere near as much data cabling around the place.
In theory a full bar of modern 'intelligent' lights (fixed or wobbly) can be powered by 1 or 2 daisychained 16A power supplies- in practise if you can't get at the fittings fairly easily it is standard to have one power cable per unit (so if one goes rogue you can shut it off without losing half a bar).
Data- modern units can use more and more channels -50 for a moving head isn't uncommon. With 512 addresses per universe it is easy to end up with 2 or 3 universes on a bar. Yes you could put a network node on the bar and split multiple universes from that (to reduce the cabling) but if that node develops a fault and you can't get at it during the show you lose the whole bar.

in practise if you can't get at the fittings fairly easily it is standard to have one power cable per unit
And I guess, while the power in each cable will be well below 16A, it would be complicated to introduce new lower power cabling in a safe and convenient manner.

And I guess, while the power in each cable will be well below 16A, it would be complicated to introduce new lower power cabling in a safe and convenient manner.
Remember these plugs don't have fuses in them so the whole circuit has to be rated to whatever MCB is in the distro. Loads easier to have every cable the same gauge so it doesn't matter which one you grab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back