Recessed Bathroom Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bulb needed changing in the bathroom. At first struggled getting the bulb out as the whole fitting was just pulling down from the ceiling and springing up again.

Eventually managed to get the bulb out by getting the front cover off.

Changed bulb and went to put back in by pushing in tight and twisting - it held for a while before falling out.

Looking at it again there is no clips or anything that hold it in place?

Struggling to see how this is meant to clip back in or hold in. I looked at another fitting and again the whole fitting pulled down - but looking at it there seems to be some form of adhesive around the front face?

Hopefully the pictures may help to explain better

This is the other fitting where it looks to have some adhesive??

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Looks like it requires turning inside the ceiling fitting, the lamp just pushes in to lampholder.
Photo of inside of can would help.

I thought the same, I've tried pushing it and twisting hoping it would bite - but nothing.

The inside has nothing obvious I can see apart from two pieces that stick out where I thought the bulb holder would push against but it doesn't seem to push enough to hold?

Sponsored Links
on the first photo, theres a silver "blob"/pin sticking out of the side of the lamp holder. Presumably theres a matching blob/pin on the other side.

In the ceiling fitting (white cylinder) there are two slots (partially obscured by the lamp connector in both photos)

You want to push the fitting in, then twist it so the blobs engage with the slot

If the white cylinder is falling out the roof, thats a different issue!

I tried that several times thinking that's how it worked but it didn't seem to hold unless I wasn't lining it up properly but im 99% sure I was.

Are you confident that's how it should hold?

If this doesn't work I can see no other way but to use some form of adhesive?

That won't work either.

If you can't get it to hold, it's new light(s) time.

And while you are fiddling with them, now might be an opportune time to check what's going on above - if there's a loft up there then you really want a sealed enclosure over the lights to stop warm moist air getting up into a cold loft space where it will condense and lead to damp, possibly rotting the timbers.

If this doesn't work I can see no other way but to use some form of adhesive?
Sticking is up is a bad idea - I would suggest that is what the last person did and look what happened.
As suggested by others now might be a time to replace said lamp.
Looking at the old lamp it looks like there is a IP rated seal on the lamp unit itself you will need something similar IP44 or above should do.
If so you do not need to seal the roof space (loft?) above as suggested but you do need to make sure there is sufficient space around the new unit as per manufacturers instructions.
Since this will compromise your roof space insulation then you will need some form of bridge over the back of the unit to allow your insulation to remain in place.
Things like this are suitable.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-downlight-insulation-guard-220mm/97932
There are alternatives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back