recessed ceiling lights and insulation

tej

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have bought a house and there is a small extension at the back of the kitchen.

I added some spot lights here but noticed there is insulation in there. There is a flat roof on it.

The spotlights i have added are fire rated but was wondering if it is safe to put the spotlights where there is insulation? Currently there are halogen bulbs but i am going to change these to LED if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The term "fire rated" means that the downlight will impede the passage of fire from the room below.
They are intended to be used in fire-rated ceilings so that making a swiss cheese out of the ceiling does not degrade its fire-resistance.

So, is your ceiling a fire barrier, no? Then forget anything to do with fire rating as it doesn't apply.

When you installed the downlights, there will have been instructions that specify the clearances on all sides and the minimum depth around the lights. did you install in accordance with these instructions?

Yes? That means you have cleared out a good bit of the insulation that was keeping all that expensive heat in your extension. Each of those areas will now be a cold spot that will suck ££££s worth of heat. Also, the hot downlight will draw hot air out of the room and into the roof space - not the best place for heat - didn't you want the room to be warm??

You didn't follow the instructions? That means the downlights are choked with insulation and either the lamps will not last long or the fittings will bend as they will overheat.

Solution: rethink your choice of lighting. Use surface-mounted lighting, make good the insulation and have the ceiling replastered.

Oh, and PS, how many watts are you using to light that room now? 300watts of halogen torchlighting when a single 11watt cfl would be more than adequate. Do you have more money than sense? Don't you care if the icecaps melt and the polar bears drown?

The term "fire rated" means that the downlight will impede the passage of fire from the room below.
They are intended to be used in fire-rated ceilings so that making a swiss cheese out of the ceiling does not degrade its fire-resistance.

So, is your ceiling a fire barrier, no? Then forget anything to do with fire rating as it doesn't apply.

When you installed the downlights, there will have been instructions that specify the clearances on all sides and the minimum depth around the lights. did you install in accordance with these instructions?

Yes? That means you have cleared out a good bit of the insulation that was keeping all that expensive heat in your extension. Each of those areas will now be a cold spot that will suck ££££s worth of heat. Also, the hot downlight will draw hot air out of the room and into the roof space - not the best place for heat - didn't you want the room to be warm??

You didn't follow the instructions? That means the downlights are choked with insulation and either the lamps will not last long or the fittings will bend as they will overheat.

Solution: rethink your choice of lighting. Use surface-mounted lighting, make good the insulation and have the ceiling replastered.

Oh, and PS, how many watts are you using to light that room now? 300watts of halogen torchlighting when a single 11watt cfl would be more than adequate. Do you have more money than sense? Don't you care if the icecaps melt and the polar bears drown?

Woah, calm down!

TTC as always - postive, charming, and never opinionated.

If the OP lives in a supermarket he many take your lighting design advice.

KA ;)

Sponsored Links
Actually I thought that Taylortwocities's response was very clearly put. I don't think I've seen it said better.

Flat roofs and downlights are an impossible combination.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back