Recessed LED light strips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

Has anyone used a recessed LED light strip? I'm currently selecting lighting for an area in a kitchen - its for an extension and a pitched roof with PIR. Instead of the usual LED spotlights I'd rather not punch into the PIR and ensure airtightness and maximum insulation performance.

My question is, are they bright enough to light up an entire room? Should they last long enough? How do people connect these up to their light switches in the wall (or use something else) considering they're based on 12/24v not 230/4volts.

What's the longest run of LED's or is this only based on the upping the driver.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They can be bright enough, depends on how much light is required and the output of the LED strip.
They last a long time provided they are installed properly onto metal channel/strip which will act as a heatsink.
They are connected to switches in the same way as any other light. LED driver should be located where it can easily be accessed, not concealed in the ceiling or similar.
Length of a single strip depends on voltage drop, but that can easily be resolved by supplying it from both ends, or at regular intervals along the length if it's very long.

They can be bright enough, depends on how much light is required and the output of the LED strip.
They last a long time provided they are installed properly onto metal channel/strip which will act as a heatsink.
They are connected to switches in the same way as any other light. LED driver should be located where it can easily be accessed, not concealed in the ceiling or similar.
Length of a single strip depends on voltage drop, but that can easily be resolved by supplying it from both ends, or at regular intervals along the length if it's very long.

Thanks flameport.

The strip will be formed as a rectangle and will be around total length 19 metres - would a single transformer be enough for this do you think?

When I'm referring to light output - I'm thinking can they match say 10 spotlights instead with the above for example? I could get spotlight output time that by 10 then workout the LED strip and compare actually.

LED power supplies can be had up to pretty much any rating.
What's needed depends on the rating of the strip.
No point in having multiple power supplies unless you intend to switch sections of it separately.

Light output is in lumens, so it's a question of how many are required and how the light is distributed in the room, just as with any other lighting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back