Recessed Downlights/Spotlights Spacing Advice

I assume the chosen fittings will not allow the white hot metal and molten glass from an exploding lamp fall onto furniture or carpet to at best leave a scorch mark or at worst a fire. Or onto a person or animal. painful.

When changing lamps do not touch the lamp with bare fingers, use a clean tissue, that will help to prolong lamp life and reduce the risk of a lamp failing in an explosive way.

Sponsored Links
If you want downlighters, then go for it. It is a matter of personal choice.

As for lamp life, I have two rooms at home with a self indulgent quantity of MR16 downlighters. I did one room about 10 years ago, and the other 4 or 5 years ago, and to date, I have not had so much as a single lamp fail.

MandipS, I'd very much like to know whether you are happy with your LV recessed lights.

Although people on here were giving you advice you said you weren't interested in, I personally found the posts useful because I am trying to decide whether to have these or not.

I don't think it was quite a fair comparison to say that a single 18w CFL would have done the job of 12 x 50W halogens. Although yes, you could basically see in the room, the quality of light doesn't compare.

But I am concerned about the running costs. I'm wondering how soon the technology will bring a really decent dimmable low energy version of these lights.

Sue

Sponsored Links
MandipS, I'd very much like to know whether you are happy with your LV recessed lights.
I am going for 12v...
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands

Although people on here were giving you advice you said you weren't interested in, I personally found the posts useful because I am trying to decide whether to have these or not.
I suggest not.

I am concerned about the running costs.
Don't use an inefficient lighting design then.

I'm wondering how soon the technology will bring a really decent dimmable low energy version of these lights.
Probably never - they are just too small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back