Recessed Electric Meter Cupboard - Insulation ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electric meter cupboard is recessed into the cavity wall, almost touching the the outer wall, so there isn't much between it and the cold.

As the meter cupboard is all metal, I believe it forms quite a thermal bridge in the wall.

It measures 86 * 46 cm.

I was wondering if it was worth fitting a "celotex sandwich" door - basically two layers of mdf with celotex in the middle to fill the hole ?

The rest of the house is filled with cavity wall insulation.

My other option was just to fit an 18mm mdf door and not worry about it !

Sponsored Links
Well seeing as nobody else has answered i'll have a go.

First off, for insulating any gaps around and behind the CU you might be better asking in the building forum, except to say that electrical power cables, with a few exceptions, should not be surrounded by thermal insulation unless this was taken into account when the cables were installed.

As far as fitting an insulated door, I can't see a problem as long as the meter cupboard is dry. A bit of cold won't do the breakers any harm but if it's damp in there the metal enclosure will start to rust. If there are gaps around the CU and at the back they could be filled with foam/celotex but check thats ok with it being a cavity wall as i'm not sure :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back