Recessing a shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any issues with recessing a stone resin shower tray so it sits on joists rather than plywood? The idea is to create support for the tray using noggins between the joists, and allowing the tray to look more recessed with the plywood and tiles around it.

Any potential problems with this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Stone resin trays are quiet brittle & must be fully supported across the base with no stress points. Manufacturers recommend bedding on a weak mortar mix & this is usually a warranty condition, if you just sit the tray on a plywood base or, worse, timber joists there is a big risk it will crack as this OP found out.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1605258#1605258
A GRP tray or (as advised) a wet deck would be more suitable if you don’t want to bed on mortar.

Sponsored Links
I am a DIYer, but I did have the help of a good carpenter.Showers are it seems, a worry because of the perceived leaks.

It was really an alternative idea, as it looked like you were trying to lower the visual height of the tray :D

I am a DIYer, but I did have the help of a good carpenter.Showers are it seems, a worry because of the perceived leaks.

It was really an alternative idea, as it looked like you were trying to lower the visual height of the tray :D

Actually, the reason I was thinking this is because wetrooms seem quite complicated, and most of the tradesmen that i've asked seem to think it's akin to launching a rocket to the moon, and hence very expensive.

Is the fixing and levelling of a wetroom former (taking the advice on board) and the subsequent tanking something a DIY'er could undertake?

It's not easy to say/help you in deciding what is, or isn't an easy project for a DIYer to carry out. I don't think I would have attempted it without the carpenter friend. It was the tiling that was problematic and the fear you would finish the bloody thing and it would leak down through the ceiling below.

It was do-able between us and I paid him a day rate. It took 5 days plus all the materials. But I ended up with a walk in shower and not a box in the corner with silicone gun massacre everywhere (and no leaks).

I can only enclose my thread on the subject,

www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=434119#434119

that started me off and brought me to this informative web site :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back