recip saw - cordless 18V for Firewood Branch cutting + other

Interested to know if you find it quick enough. I used a mains-powered reciprocating saw to prune a tree recently, with a long extra-coarse blade, and found it very slow. I suspect a cordless would have less power.

I've seen miniature cordless chainsaws, described as pruners.

Sponsored Links
yes, i saw those and seen mentioned in quite a few forums - around £40
and found it very slow. I suspect a cordless would have less power.
Interesting, i will have to see how i get on, in the next few weeks - hope its not a mistake, although I know i can use for other things, and had it on the list for a while - for other work
BUT then again , i'm not trade so time is not a factor , so long as its not stupidly slow
i looked at youtube videos and it seems to look to be ok

Interested to know if you find it quick enough. I used a mains-powered reciprocating saw to prune a tree recently, with a long extra-coarse blade, and found it very slow. I suspect a cordless would have less power.

I've seen miniature cordless chainsaws, described as pruners.
Agree I am looking for a more effective blade than the Bosch which blunt very quickly .

Sponsored Links
Agree I am looking for a more effective blade than the Bosch which blunt very quickly .

I got a TCT demolition blade, for cutting through bricks. It is quite long. I don't recall the brand

used for about an hour this morning , mostly one handed , while holding the wood still
the vibration is quite bad on the single hand - its ok, if i can use 2 hands on the saw - so will have to think about how i keep the branch in the scoop i made to hold it for the chain saw - which was elastic ties - but not great

it seems to cut at the speed i would expect - filled a barrow full

just the vibration

I followed mine with a 2800W shredder.

There are several on the market, so similar that they probably came from the same design, if not the same factory.

Mine is a MacAllister from Screwfix, the cheapest, but Wickes has a Powerbase, there is a Grizzly, a Makita and a Bosch, and also less known names. Some of the lookalikes did not score as well.

Fine on branches and twigs, not much good on soft green material. Mine will eat 45mm branches.

i should have added that during that hour it went through a 5Ah battery - it suddenly slowed down , even though the battery showed 1 light
only have 1 5Ah - so using a 3Ah while the 5 charges

You may lessen the vibration by holding the front of the saw tight against the branch while not pressing down too hard on the blade

much better if i'm right up close to the branch = thanks for that
managed to get through a few barrows full of quite large logs now
BUT
big blister appeared inside my thumb - and i was wearing the stihl safety gloves i had for the chainsaw - which still not starting - BUT i was wearing some working gloves to begin with

so calling it a day now and back again tomorrow ...

i'm Pleased with the performance and speed of cut ..... as i expected.

need to work out how to hold the log down on the slide i made , somehow

Last edited:
much better if i'm right up close to the branch = thanks for that
managed to get through a few barrows full of quite large logs now
BUT
big blister appeared inside my thumb - and i was wearing the stihl safety gloves i had for the chainsaw - which still not starting - BUT i was wearing some working gloves to begin with

so calling it a day now and back again tomorrow ...

i'm Pleased with the performance and speed of cut ..... as i expected.

need to work out how to hold the log down on the slide i made , somehow
Post a pic of the slide, someone may have a bright idea

will do tomorrow

it just 2 bits of wood joined at 45degree - with some blocks - so when i put it into a workmate it makes a V

otherhalf actually suggest i put holes each side at the bottom of the V and then i can use the elasticated straps, which shold work

but someone may have a bright idea here - so yep photo tomorrow

A chop saw/mitre saw is good for cutting smaller stuff up for firewood, a 254mm one will cut stuff about 3"+ thick

i have a 250mm dewalt mitre saw, but tend to use for more precision work , then old bits of wood
but i could put the 24T blade on it , i suppose , just not sure i want to do that, doesn't feel right - Strange

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back