Recip saw.. go cordless or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. i'm expanding my toolkit atm, and it seems to me some tools are more worthwhile than others in being cordless, cost differences withstanding. So in the case of recip saws.. generally, do people get them corded or not? I know it'll depend on how much they're used.. but in general.. do people who went cordless end up regreting it when they have to use them quite a bit.. or is it always handy enough cordless?

cheers!

Also.. im looking at some for sale.. is the adjustable shoe just and integrated feature of the tool.. or something that may or may not be included?

Sponsored Links
I bought a corded recip because I use it for ripping window cills out and it's quite a heavy job.
I have used a cordless one but it ran out of power quite quickly.
I've never needed to use the saw where there wasn't power so this was never an issue and I would think the only reason to go cordless.

Hmn that's what i was worried about.. will probably just get a (cheaper) corded one then!

I had the same issue, It was never going to be used everyday but a tool that would be used. I also have a stash of 18V Makita bats so it made sense t obuy a cordless one to use with it. I am happy with that set up and the power is more than enough for my purpose.

Sponsored Links
i have a dewalt and a ryobi 18v and they are both great
they are well up to ny task i ask power isnt a problem as i have several batteries for each[7 and 8]

have cut fence posts window frames soffits ect no probs
now i have never used a mains version so have nothing to compare with
but i am fully happy with the recips
other battery stuff i have is

ryobi18v chop saw /circ saw / recip saw/ planer/ jigsaw /light router/ spiral saw/orbit sander/ detail sander/impact driver/hammer drill

dewalt 18v light router/ recip saw/ angle drill/ angle grinder /jig saw/ plunge saw/hammer drill

bosch10.8 lithium driver/ 2 speed driver/angle driver /impact driver/progessor type saw

24v jigsaw/ circsaw'/ chop saw/ hammer drill

See i've only got a few batteries and a couple of chargers.. so it'd be hassle if the recip started hogging all the recharge time/batts. I'll probably go corded till that changes.. is all that Ryobi the +1 system? Whats the quality of the tools like?

i had a battery saw and like mentioned abouve,runs out of power rather quickly,so i bought a corded one.as i was doing a loft conversion i found the corded one a bit of a bind trailing cables around the loft,no floor down etc.i was going to sell the battery one but in hindsight i think ill keep both.

See i've only got a few batteries and a couple of chargers.. so it'd be hassle if the recip started hogging all the recharge time/batts. I'll probably go corded till that changes.. is all that Ryobi the +1 system? Whats the quality of the tools like?

as said above :D :D :D
i rate ryobi as light to medium trade will do 80% the work off the big boys toys at 40% off the price

ok.. but what about useability.. fitness for purpose.. are they capable?

ok further clarification
if you want to use a tool to work to full capacity plus a bit more most days off the week thats full trade
if you want a tool that will work to full capacity on the odd occasion most days and occasionaly a bit more thats ryobi at medium trade

if you are starting out on your own and need a reliable tool and moneys at a premium then ryobi is the tool
then as buisness improves you can finance the yellow/blue/red toys

the great thing about ryobi is you can try out tools at the £70 mark
that you simply cant afford at the £200 yellow/blue/ red mark
and the good thing is whilst your waiting for the ryobi to fail in service you can save up lots off money as they seldom give trouble ;)

A most fulsome, lucid and worthy response. A veil of ignorance hath lifted from mine eyes and with almost painful perspicacity do i behold the new truth of things.

lol@ red/blue/yellow toys btw :)

Reading this thread yesterday made me think hmmmm, maybe I should invest in a corded jobbie?

Was in Lidl today and they were having a bit of a clearout (think they were in the middle of a stocktake) Parkside corded recip £9.99, last one, battered box but hey-ho! :D

A most fulsome, lucid and worthy response. A veil of ignorance hath lifted from mine eyes and with almost painful perspicacity do i behold the new truth of things.

lol@ red/blue/yellow toys btw :)

yes i do talk 8o11ocks sometimes :D :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back