Reclaimed Welsh Slates - Can you re-use them if they have four holes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I bought some 24x14 slates for a repair. They mostly already have four holes. Are they still ok to re-use? I know I have to make new holes when fitting them.

Just to add, the new holes will be lower as they're going on a roof with 20x12s. I'm just using these at the abutment, where I'll cut them down to 20" in length, but needed the 2 extra inches to reach the wall. They are a bit thicker mind, but being at the end I'm hoping they'll be ok (unless anyone thinks otherwise?).

There's also one slate with a diagonal crack/line visible on both sides. It rings ok when tapped and seems sound. Is it ok to use?

Speaking of ringing, one clearly rattles when tapped, so won't use that. The rest do ring and reverberate in the hand, but it's quite a low ring. I've got other slates from another yard that ring higher and longer. Is that normal?

A link to some photos:

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I haven't seen any of you pics but as data says if the the holes are away form the centre then they should be fine. The other thing to consider is pitch and exposer for longevity.

Thank you both :)

So that's a score draw so far then... Anyone else want to chip in?

Cheers
Datarebel is a professional roofer, you are safe to rely on his advice and experience.

Blup

If you think about it two slates overlap the one below at its centre line or thereabouts, so holes in the centre are in the firing line of rain and moisture more than those at the side.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back