RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I URGE ALL MY FRIENDS TO READ & SHARE THIS; YOU COULD SAVE A LOVED ONES LIFE BY KNOWING THIS SIMPLE INFORMATION!!!

Stroke has a new indicator! They say if you forward this to ten people, you stand a chance of saving one life. Will you send this along? Blood Clots/Stroke - They Now Have a Fourth Indicator, the Tongue:

During a BBQ, a woman stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) ...she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Jane went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Jane's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 PM Jane passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Jane would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this.

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR. Read and

Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A

SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
(i.e. Chicken Soup)

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue. If the tongue is

'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

Sponsored Links
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally.

Well that's not strictly speaking correct. If it's caused by a blood clot you can try to dissolve it using injected drugs. And yes, if you get in there quick enough, you can hopefully prevent permanent damage.

If it's caused by a bleed then it's a whole different ball game and you would be looking at a surgical solution, and that's not always possible or effective or safe even.

Some are caused by a clot, which then develops into a bleed........ By then it's too late to use the clot buster as it will only make things worse.

You would also need to brain scan them to know which one it is, so you need to be somewhere with that equipment.

But good advice, plenty of other good advice out there too. As with a lot of medical things, the earlier it's diagnosed the better the best outcome.

My neighbour knew he had had a stroke one Sunday morning because he had fallen over and didn't feel right.

His son to took him to hospital where they checked him over and said that he had not had a stroke but treated him for a damaged ligament in his hand that he'd sustained in the fall.

48hrs later he was left paralysed with limited use of his right hand from the stroke they said he hadn't had. He needs carers 7 days a week and has to pay for them and when his money runs out, they will take his home.

I URGE ALL MY FRIENDS TO READ & SHARE THIS; YOU COULD SAVE A LOVED ONES LIFE BY KNOWING THIS SIMPLE INFORMATION!!!

Stroke has a new indicator! They say if you forward this to ten people, you stand a chance of saving one life. Will you send this along? Blood Clots/Stroke - They Now Have a Fourth Indicator, the Tongue:

During a BBQ, a woman stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) ...she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Jane went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Jane's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 PM Jane passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Jane would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this.

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR. Read and

Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A

SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
(i.e. Chicken Soup)

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue. If the tongue is

'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

kinnel. I read all that waiting for the punchline. :evil:

Sponsored Links
my sis in law had a stroke at xmas......shes 38, makes you re think things BIG style!!

Diane, I had a mild stroke at the beginning of December last year. Fine now, but yes it does make you look at life rather differently. ;) ;)

Knowing your track record, Pred, I was expecting a punchline as well!

However, I have forwarded your message. I think it's useful stuff for everyone to know.

All we have to do now is persuade the hospitals to take the necessary action. I'd like to think that most already do, but I'm sure there will be exceptions.

Had a weird one Monday mid day, in fact I had to go n lie down, couldn't take it.

My left hand has, allegedly, a bit of carpal syndrome, so that always has a slight pins&needles (p&n) towards the fingers ends and outer palm edge.

Anyways Monday I ended up with a blinding ache midday behind my left eye, like someone had shoved two spoons in top n bottom and were squeezing. So I went n lay down. 4 hours later got up to do the Missus tea/dinner.

Half hour after getting up my left cheek, left side of nose and back to ear felt like the dental novocaine was wearing off. You know, the numb, but not numb, but if you bite you don't really feel it. If I rubbed my thumb against the first or second finger then it felt like I'd some wet blue tac I was trying to roll. OK, I really meant bogey but I was trying to be polite. But there was nothing there. My left leg started on the p&n trick and my knee would bounce into rear lock mode as front lock didn't seem to work.

I'm still feeling about the same now but multiply the numbness by minus 100%. If I stick the teeth in at least I can feel I'm biting now.
If I go outside now the lower left side of face feels cold and feels like I'm dribbling! And with no young totty to ogle at! (But I'm not. Dribbling that is, I still do the ogling, and the ogle view can be excellent in a Uni town like Durham).

Read on some website that those are all female responses to hormonal/migraine/time of life/a few acronyms that lost me, kind of things. But
(a) I'm not female. And
(b) I'm not gonna bother me doc with a posh headache.

But last Monday I was shirting meself!! And I'm glad I got spell-check n all!

All those symptoms and you didn't go to your quack? I would have done, if only to put my mind at rest.

A mate of mine had problems but due to the nature didn't want to see his female doc. what an idiot, if anyone is going to play around within my nickers i would prefer a female doc. anyway, when he finally went to see her, shortly after he's in hospital having his bladder removed, they made a new one out of his intestine, but its not the same, who knows if he had not wasted nearly two yrs to overcome his nerves, maybe the cancer may not have been so bad.

Sponsored Links
Back