Recomendations for downlighters in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

I would very much appreciate some recommendations for quality downlighting in a bathroom.

I need 4 downlighters (or maybe 6) which are suitable for all zones (as I would like the lights in the bath area to match the lights not in the bath area).

I have loft insulation above so assume that I would require fire hoods.

I would like the lights to be chrome finish and ideally tiltable.

I am looking for a really decent quality downlighter

Thanks for your help

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
I would very much appreciate some recommendations for quality downlighting in a bathroom.
No such thing.

I need 4 downlighters (or maybe 6) which are suitable for all zones (as I would like the lights in the bath area to match the lights not in the bath area).
Doesn't the number you've worked out tell you anything about how poorly these things work?

No - you'll need to build an enclosure above each light large enough to provide the appropriate clearances and you'll have to reinstate the insulation over it (which will mean adding more, and heaven help you if you currently have loose fill) and you'll have to seal the enclosure to the ceiling to stop any air from the bathroom getting into the loft.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCPublicati...ical/StandardsExtra/filedownload,16553,en.pdf

Failure to get the insulation in place or to seal the enclosure will be contraventions of the Building Regulations, which as this work is notifiable would not be a good thing to do.

I am looking for a really decent quality downlighter
Do you just want shiny things on the ceiling, or do you want something which will actually light the room properly?

The only recommendation I can give is do not install these lights. They give out a narrow beam of light because they were originally designed to highlight individual display items or features - it is not for nothing that some people call them spotlights. They are not designed to provide a good uniform spread of lighting to do the job of general room illumination.

Sponsored Links
Another case of BAN being the almighty and telling people what they want. It's getting increasingly boring :rolleyes:

I have these fixed Eterna IP65 downlighters in my en-suite with 11w compact fluorescent lamps. I'm more than happy with the light output and find the warmup time ideal first thing in the morning. They also look really good.

http://www.astra247.com/4280/Lighti...ght-IP65-GU10-50W-240V-Mains-Voltage-/Chrome/

Another case of BAN being the almighty and telling people what they want. It's getting increasingly boring :rolleyes:
Feel free to leave at any time.

But before you go, try and understand that the OP said "I would very much appreciate some recommendations for quality downlighting in a bathroom", and that I gave him my recommendations.

I'm not going anywhere.

You just bore me with your constant over opininated spouting. That's all.

Downlighters do work, they do as intended and look good in the process.

I would like the lights in the bath area to match the lights not in the bath area

You will need IP65 rated ones if they are over the bath or shower elsewhere you may be out of zones depending on your ceiling height //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:speclcn:bathroom_zones

No you don't necessarily need fire rated but you do need to seal over the hole and allow adequate space for heat dissipation. Either make plasterboard boxes and seal all joints and seal to ceiling with mastic or use Loft Caps http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLALC724.html and seal to the ceiling.

I haven't seen any !P65 tiltable ones.

I do not require dimable (and it seems that tiltable is out of the question) but can someone advise which generally seems to be the lights that people go for. ie. the high voltage version without the transformer or the lower voltage with the transformer. Is there a comparable performance in light output between the two

For AC voltage:

Extra-low voltage - not exceeding 50 V
Low voltage - >50 V but not exceeding 1000 V
High voltage - >1000 V

I prefer not to have transformers as it's another point of failure though ELV MR16 lamps are brighter than LV GU10 lamps.

It'll give them a rating of IP65, up and beyond the minimum IPX4 (not IP4X which is top surfaces) requirement for zones 1 and 2.

But I knew you meant that really :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back